Radar & Jupiter Great Red Spot

In summary, the conversation discusses the Great Red Spot on Jupiter and the possibility of it being caused by a massive volcano. The speaker suggests using radar to investigate this theory and mentions the challenges of finding a surface anomaly on a gas giant like Jupiter. However, there are also criticisms of this theory and the feasibility of using radar to penetrate Jupiter's atmosphere.
CosmologyHobbyist
Ever since the first Pioneer spacecraft sent back closeup photos of Jupiter's Great Red Spot ("GRS") back in 1978(?), I noticed the GRS looks like a wave-cloud. There is a thick lip of wave-cloud on one side of the GRS, caused by air sweeping over an enormous volcano, it then bends around on both sides as it is pushed by prevailing wind, and thins out, leaving heaps of turbulence in the coriolis-effect-driven interior.

I know this doesn't fit current Jovian construction theories, yet the photo evidence is there. Every planet has a major volcanic feature: Earth, Moon, Venus, Mars, why not the gas giants as well? (Then the problem becomes how can rock be so light unless it is lithium-based?)

Has anyone tried bouncing radar off the Jupiter GRS to see if a bright reflection occurs, revealing a massive volcano? Bouncing radar off shrouded Venus produced a flurry of science investigations. No one has tried bouncing radar off Jupiter simply because they expect to find nothing. Well, here is a reason to go looking. It would be historic, if a surface anomaly is found.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm sorry, but there is no easy way to sugar-coat a critique, so I'm going to have to lock the thread before it goes really bad, really fast. Some short answers:

1. No, as far as I know, no one has tried to penetrate Jupiter's atmosphere with radar. But they did send a probe 150 km down through it.

2. No, the GRS doesn't look anything like a wave-cloud, which would be wedge shaped, not round.

3. No, solid lithium is many, many times denser than gaseous hydrogen -- and Jupiter is way, way too light to have a significant core of anything solid.

Likes davenn

1. What is the Great Red Spot on Jupiter?

The Great Red Spot is a massive storm on Jupiter that has been raging for at least 350 years. It is a high-pressure system that is two to three times the size of Earth and is characterized by its distinct reddish color.

2. How was the Great Red Spot discovered?

The Great Red Spot was discovered by the astronomer Giovanni Cassini in 1665. However, it was not until the 19th century that scientists began to study and track the storm more closely.

3. How does radar help scientists study the Great Red Spot?

Radar is used to measure the height and depth of the Great Red Spot, as well as its wind speeds and circulation patterns. This allows scientists to track changes in the storm over time and better understand its behavior.

4. What have scientists learned about the Great Red Spot through radar observations?

Through radar observations, scientists have learned that the Great Red Spot is a deep-seated storm that extends about 300 kilometers into Jupiter's atmosphere. They have also observed that the storm's winds can reach speeds of up to 620 kilometers per hour.

5. Can radar help predict the future of the Great Red Spot?

While radar observations have provided valuable insights into the Great Red Spot, it is difficult to make accurate predictions about its future. The storm is known to change in size, shape, and color over time, and it is still unclear what factors contribute to these changes.