Radiation of accelerated charge in QM

In summary: If the atom is in a superposition of states (e.g. an excited atom that will eventually decay), then you will be able to find a changing dipole and thus radiation.In summary, the stability of the hydrogen atom can be explained by its quantized energy levels and the fact that it exists in a stationary state, meaning it does not have a changing multipole moment that would result in radiation. This can be understood through Schrödinger's quantum mechanics and does not require a full quantum field theory description.
greypilgrim
Hi,

One of the main problems of the Rutherford model is the fact that the electrons are accelerated and hence should lose energy due to radiation. Bohr's model doesn't resolve this, it only postulates that the energy levels are quantized and energy can only be emitted or absorbed by jumping between the levels.

What about the Schrödinger hydrogen atom? In many applications (for example perturbation theory) it's enough to treat the electromagnetic field classically (i.e. non-quantized). Hence if I measure the acceleration of the electron and apply Maxwell's equations, I should find a loss of energy by radiation.

Did I miss something, or do I need a full QFT description to explain why the hydrogen atom is stable?

Physics news on Phys.org
greypilgrim said:
Hence if I measure the acceleration of the electron and apply Maxwell's equations, I should find a loss of energy by radiation.

You are here assuming that the electron has a given acceleration, which it does not as it needs to be treated using quantum mechanics. That the energy levels are quantised means that it is impossible to treat the problem using a classical description of EM fields due to transitions between quantum states.

Likes bhobba
That's why I said I measure the acceleration. Shouldn't the electron have a given acceleration at least for a short time after the measurement?

greypilgrim said:
That's why I said I measure the acceleration. Shouldn't the electron have a given acceleration at least for a short time after the measurement?
No.

Would you care to elaborate? It has well-defined acceleration at the time of measurement and since time evolution is continuous it can't get too far away from it in a short time interval.

Also, can't we measure continuously?

greypilgrim said:
Would you care to elaborate? It has well-defined acceleration at the time of measurement and since time evolution is continuous it can't get too far away from it in a short time interval.

Also, can't we measure continuously?
No, this is wrong. It does not have a well defined acceleration as there are no acceleration eigenstates. Time evolution of the wave function is continuous. Furthermore, all of the states of the bound electron are stationary and the mean acceleration is zero. You need to stop thinking in terms of classical objects, because electrons bound to nuclei are not. You can measure continuously, or what essentially amounts to it, but not without interfering with the process. A very precise measurement of the position will require enough energy to kick the electron out of the atom.

Likes bhobba
greypilgrim said:
Hi,

One of the main problems of the Rutherford model is the fact that the electrons are accelerated and hence should lose energy due to radiation. Bohr's model doesn't resolve this, it only postulates that the energy levels are quantized and energy can only be emitted or absorbed by jumping between the levels.

What about the Schrödinger hydrogen atom? In many applications (for example perturbation theory) it's enough to treat the electromagnetic field classically (i.e. non-quantized). Hence if I measure the acceleration of the electron and apply Maxwell's equations, I should find a loss of energy by radiation.

Did I miss something, or do I need a full QFT description to explain why the hydrogen atom is stable?
The electron in the Hydrogen atom doesn't radiate simply because it doesn't, the Maxwell's laws based on macroscopic classical descriptions of the motion just don't apply, they are just not the laws that rules the atom.

andresB said:
The electron in the Hydrogen atom doesn't radiate simply because it doesn't, the Maxwell's laws based on macroscopic classical descriptions of the motion just don't apply, they are just not the laws that rules the atom.

QED of course does apply and that will predict the probabilities of absorbing and/or emitting photons.

It, as you correctly point out, is of course nothing like classical electrodynamics.

Thanks
Bill

Yes, I should have been clearer. I hope it will still be understandable for the OP, atoms do radiate of course, but the description of that process is not to be found in the classical theories.

greypilgrim said:

To explain stability of the hydrogen atom, full QFT is not necessary, Schrödinger hydrogen atom is enough. To emit radiation, electron needs to jump into a lower energy state (otherwise energy would not be conserved). But Schrödinger quantum mechanics explains why the energy of the hydrogen atom is quantized, and consequently why there is no lower energy state to jump into it. Consequently, it cannot radiate.

Boy, we have really gone down the rabbit hole here.

Classically, an object radiates when it has a changing dipole (technically, multipole) moment. For example, if I have a charge -1 object orbiting a charge +1 object, I have a spinning - and thus changing - dipole. An accelerating charged object is one example of a changing multipole.

In QM, an atom in a stationary state (i.e. an energy eigenstate) has constant multipole moments. Since they aren't changing, there is no radiation. You don't need to know anything about the internal dynamics of the atom.

Likes bhobba

1. What is the concept of "radiation of accelerated charge" in quantum mechanics?

The concept of "radiation of accelerated charge" refers to the phenomenon of electromagnetic radiation being emitted by a charged particle as it undergoes acceleration. According to quantum mechanics, the particle's acceleration causes it to emit photons, which carry energy away from the particle and result in the emission of radiation.

2. How does the emission of radiation by an accelerated charge differ from classical mechanics?

In classical mechanics, the emission of radiation by an accelerated charge is explained by the particle's changing electric and magnetic fields. However, in quantum mechanics, the emission of radiation is considered to be a discrete process, where the particle emits individual photons rather than a continuous stream of radiation.

3. Can the radiation of accelerated charge be observed experimentally?

Yes, the radiation of accelerated charge has been observed in various experiments, such as the observation of synchrotron radiation in particle accelerators. It can also be observed in everyday devices, such as a television or radio antenna, where the emission of radiation by accelerated charges is used to transmit signals.

4. How does the emission of radiation affect the behavior of the accelerated charge?

The emission of radiation causes the accelerated charge to lose energy and momentum, resulting in a decrease in its acceleration. This energy loss is known as "radiation damping" and plays a crucial role in the dynamics of charged particles in various systems, such as atoms and molecules.

5. Is the radiation of accelerated charge a reversible process?

No, the emission of radiation by an accelerated charge is an irreversible process. Once the energy is lost in the form of radiation, it cannot be recovered by the particle. This is due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics, where the emission of radiation is a random process and cannot be reversed.