Radiative Transfer - Emitting Ring

Finally, we can integrate this over the entire ring to get the total surface brightness:I_{\nu,tot} = \int_{0}^{2\pi} \frac{j_{\nu} (\frac{r_{out}+r_{in}}{2} + \frac{r_{out}-r_{in}}{2} cos\theta) d\theta}{cos\theta d\nu d\omega dt}In summary, we can calculate the relative surface brightness of an optically thin emitting ring as a function of its projected position
astrop

Homework Statement

Suppose there is an optically thin emitting ring with inner radius [tex]r_{in}[/tex] and outer radius [tex]r_{out}[/tex] seen edge on. Compute the relative surface brightness of the ring as a function of its projected position in the sky.

Homework Equations

Radiative transfer:
[tex]dE = I_{\nu} dA cos\theta d\nu d\omega dt[/tex]

Emission:
[tex]\frac{dI_{\nu}}{ds}cos\theta = j_{\nu} - k_{\nu}I_{\nu}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm assuming that the center of the ring is at a distance D>>[tex]r_{out}[/tex]. The angle [tex]\theta[/tex] is the angle between the normal to the ground and the line going to the center of the ring. I think I can drop the extinction coefficient so that:
[tex]\frac{dI_{\nu}}{ds}cos\theta = j_{\nu}[/tex]

I'm not entirely sure how exactly to proceed. Do I just need to figure out what ds is? This would be the area of the ring covered by some angle from the center of the ring?

Physics news on Phys.org
Or do I need to integrate over the entire ring?

First, let's define some variables:

D = distance to the ring
r_{in} = inner radius of the ring
r_{out} = outer radius of the ring
\theta = angle between the normal to the ground and the line going to the center of the ring
dA = area element of the ring
ds = path length along the ring
d\nu = frequency element
d\omega = solid angle element
dt = time element

Next, let's consider the radiative transfer equation:

dE = I_{\nu} dA cos\theta d\nu d\omega dt

This equation describes the change in energy (dE) as it travels through the ring. We can rewrite this equation in terms of the surface brightness (I_{\nu}):

dE = I_{\nu} dA cos\theta d\nu d\omega dt
I_{\nu} = \frac{dE}{dA cos\theta d\nu d\omega dt}

Next, we can use the emission equation to relate the surface brightness to the emission coefficient (j_{\nu}):

\frac{dI_{\nu}}{ds}cos\theta = j_{\nu}

Substituting this into our previous equation, we get:

I_{\nu} = \frac{j_{\nu} ds}{cos\theta d\nu d\omega dt}

Now, we need to determine the value of ds. This is the path length along the ring, which can be calculated using basic geometry:

ds = r d\theta

Where r is the radius of the ring at a given angle \theta. In this case, we can define r as a function of \theta:

r = \frac{r_{out}+r_{in}}{2} + \frac{r_{out}-r_{in}}{2} cos\theta

Substituting this into our equation for ds, we get:

ds = (\frac{r_{out}+r_{in}}{2} + \frac{r_{out}-r_{in}}{2} cos\theta) d\theta

Now, we can plug this back into our equation for the surface brightness:

I_{\nu} = \frac{j_{\nu} (\frac{r_{out}+r_{in}}{2

1. What is radiative transfer?

Radiative transfer is the process by which electromagnetic radiation (such as light) travels through a medium, such as a gas or a solid object. This process involves the absorption, emission, and scattering of radiation as it moves through the medium.

2. What is an emitting ring?

An emitting ring is a theoretical construct used in the study of radiative transfer. It refers to a circular region in space where radiation is emitted outward in all directions.

3. How does radiative transfer in an emitting ring work?

In an emitting ring, radiation is emitted from all points on the ring's surface and travels outward in all directions. The amount of radiation emitted at each point depends on the temperature and composition of the emitting material.

4. What is the importance of studying radiative transfer in an emitting ring?

Understanding how radiation behaves in an emitting ring can help scientists better understand the properties of different materials and the processes that occur in various astrophysical and atmospheric environments. This knowledge can also aid in the development of technologies such as remote sensing and climate modeling.

5. How do scientists study radiative transfer in an emitting ring?

Scientists use mathematical models and computer simulations to study radiative transfer in an emitting ring. These models take into account factors such as the temperature and composition of the emitting material, the distance between the ring and the observer, and the properties of the surrounding medium. Observations from telescopes and other instruments also provide valuable data for studying radiative transfer in real-world scenarios.