Radicals again - Formation energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the energy associated with recombination of radicals and whether it is more favorable to break oxygen bonds or recombine into the hydroperoxyl radical. The expert suggests that the energy required for recombination is the same as the bond-dissociation energy for bond breaking, but with an opposite sign. They also provide a resource for determining the energy required for bond breaking and formation.
rwooduk
I know my last question on radicals' interaction with luminol didn't get much attention, perhaps it was too specific.

Please could I ask a last question, I understand that when radicals are formed via bond breaking this is called the bond-dissociation energy, but is there an energy associated with recombination?

For example the energy required for the formation of the hydroperoxy radical from the hydrogen radical and oxygen? Do the oxygen bonds need to be broken in this process? Is it more energetically favourable to break the oxygen bonds than recombine into the hydroperoxy radical?

Where would I find this information?

Thanks again for any help.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
rwooduk said:
Please could I ask a last question, I understand that when radicals are formed via bond breaking this is called the bond-dissociation energy, but is there an energy associated with recombination?

Perhaps I am missing something about your question, but the answer looks painfully obvious: exactly the same energy, just with an opposite sign.

Likes rwooduk and HAYAO
Borek said:
Perhaps I am missing something about your question, but the answer looks painfully obvious: exactly the same energy, just with an opposite sign.

I hadn't thought about it that way, thanks very much for the different persepective. I will look at the energy required to split the hydroperoxyl radical to give me the formation energy. I've been getting a little lost in radical chemistry and it's really not my area.

Could you comment on my other question about the hydroperoxyl radical, do the O-O bonds remain intact in its formation? From the image...

hpx1.jpg

It certainly appears that way, but the oxygen no longer has double bonds. I am trying to determine if the energy required for breaking the O-O bonds would be less than the energy required to form the hydroperoxyl radical.

Thanks again.

Attachments

• hpx1.jpg
    hpx1.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 517
edit It's ok think I have it now, from this list...

https://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Ph...undamentals_of_Chemical_Bonding/Bond_Energies

H• + O2 = HO2

Therefore to break HO2 we need to break the H-O bond (467 kJ/mol) and form an O-O bond (146 kJ/mol)
To break an O2 bond it takes 495 kJ/mol

Therefore, it requires more energy to form the hydroperoxyl radical than to break the O2 bonds, therefore hydroperoxyl radical formation will be more likely to happen for higher energy processes.

1. What are radicals and how are they formed?

Radicals are atoms, molecules, or ions that contain unpaired electrons. They are formed when a covalent bond is broken and one of the bonded electrons is left behind on each atom, resulting in an unpaired electron. This can happen through a variety of processes, including chemical reactions or exposure to radiation.

2. What is formation energy and why is it important in studying radicals?

Formation energy refers to the amount of energy required to form a radical from its constituent parts. This includes breaking the original bonds and creating the new unpaired electrons. It is an important concept in studying radicals because it allows us to predict and understand how stable or reactive a radical will be under different conditions.

3. How does the formation energy of a radical affect its reactivity?

The lower the formation energy of a radical, the more stable it is and the less reactive it will be. This is because a lower formation energy means less energy is required to form the radical, making it more likely to exist and less likely to react with other molecules to form new bonds.

4. Can formation energy be measured experimentally?

Yes, formation energy can be measured experimentally using techniques such as photoelectron spectroscopy or mass spectrometry. These methods allow scientists to directly measure the energy required to form a radical and determine its stability and reactivity.

5. How do environmental factors, such as temperature and pressure, affect the formation energy of radicals?

The formation energy of radicals is highly dependent on environmental factors such as temperature and pressure. Generally, higher temperatures and pressures make it easier for bonds to break and radicals to form, resulting in lower formation energies. However, this can vary depending on the specific reaction and reactants involved.