Radio Attenuation Rate and Magnetized Iron Mesh

• Thread starter EleSuki
  • Start date
EleSuki
The wavelength of 5G radio waves is smaller than that of 4G, and even a gap of 1 mm or so such as aluminum mesh fabric can slip through, so it is said that attenuation performance cannot be demonstrated. However, I wondered what would happen if the article was made of iron mesh magnetized by a magnetizer. Can 5G radio waves slip through even magnetized iron mesh in a prepared manner?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you think magnetization would have any effect on the EM wave?

Thanks for the replies, I will try to get back to you on this one. Oh, I was also writing this topic in the hope of gaining scientific knowledge, but if it is inappropriate, please delete this one as well.

I read a post saying that aluminum mesh is not magnetic and iron mesh is magnetic and therefore has a higher attenuation rate of electromagnetic waves, so I was wondering if the properties of the electromagnetic waves themselves would change if the iron mesh fabric was given the properties of a magnet.

https://www.jst.go.jp/pr/announce/20120905-2/index.html
  • (c) Schematic of millimeter wave polarization plane rotation induced by irradiating a magnetized sample with millimeter waves. This ferrite magnet affects the magnetic field component of the electromagnetic wave.
As mentioned in the presentation here, magnets can affect the properties of electromagnetic waves. Therefore, I am interested to know if electromagnetic waves are also attenuated by magnetic forces or magnetic fields.

Thanks. I would appreciate it if you could try to translate the page on ChatGPT or DeepL if possible. But I think that would also be a hassle.

I was looking for a similar topic in an English-speaking forum or article discussing what I wanted to know:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...radio-waves-from-forcing-two-magnets-together

It has been observed that cooperating magnetic fields, such as neodymium magnets, have no effect on electromagnetic waves. Then, it seems to be safe to assume that imparting the characteristics of a magnet to iron mesh fabric will have no effect on the attenuation rate at all. I have solved the problem myself, but as always, if there is someone who can think with me, I will be able to get to the desired information. Thank you very much for your help.

EleSuki said:
I would appreciate it if you could try to translate the page on ChatGPT or DeepL if possible.
We discourage the use of AI chatbots for technical tasks at PF. I'll try to use Google Translate to see what some parts of the paper says.

EleSuki said:
https://physics.stackexchange.com/q...radio-waves-from-forcing-two-magnets-together

It has been observed that cooperating magnetic fields, such as neodymium magnets, have no effect on electromagnetic waves. Then, it seems to be safe to assume that imparting the characteristics of a magnet to iron mesh fabric will have no effect on the attenuation rate at all. I have solved the problem myself, but as always, if there is someone who can think with me, I will be able to get to the desired information. Thank you very much for your help.
I only looked at the first sentence or two of the first answer in that PSE thread, and I agree that there should be no effect on the EM from any magnetization. As it says, it is the free electrons (and skin depth) of the metal shielding that provides the shielding effect for EM.

• Informative
Likes EleSuki
Thank you. I am not a scientist and had only skimmed the published paper, but I read it again properly. It seems that the new magnet shown in this paper showed radio absorption in the 220 gigahertz band of millimeter waves. However, the frequency band of 5G radio waves is much lower, so I don't think it is as realistic as I had thought.
I think they must have made a very strong magnet, but in any case, it was good to learn that magnets have no effect on EM.

EleSuki said:
new magnet shown in this paper showed radio absorption in the 220 gigahertz band of millimeter waves.
Yikes, that's really high frequency. Maybe the local B-field is doing something with the motion of the free electrons in the metal to provide that effect. I'll try to translate the paper when I get a chance to see what their explanation is for the effect.

• Care
Likes EleSuki

What is radio attenuation rate?

The radio attenuation rate refers to the reduction in power of radio waves as they pass through materials or travel through the atmosphere. It quantifies how much the signal strength decreases, which can be due to absorption, reflection, scattering, or diffraction. This rate is crucial in designing communication systems to ensure signal reliability and strength over distances and through various environments.

How does a magnetized iron mesh affect radio waves?

A magnetized iron mesh can significantly influence radio waves due to its magnetic and conductive properties. The iron mesh acts as a shield, absorbing and reflecting radio waves, which can lead to attenuation of the signal. The degree of attenuation depends on the mesh's properties such as the size of the openings, the thickness of the wires, and the intensity of magnetization.

What are the applications of using magnetized iron mesh in radio wave technology?

Magnetized iron mesh is used in various applications to control or manipulate radio waves. For example, it is used in electromagnetic shielding to protect electronic equipment from unwanted radio frequency interference (RFI). It is also used in constructing radomes that protect radar antennas, where it helps in managing the electromagnetic fields and improving signal clarity by reducing signal loss.

What factors influence the attenuation rate of radio waves by a magnetized iron mesh?

Several factors can influence how a magnetized iron mesh attenuates radio waves, including the mesh's pore size, wire diameter, the material's permeability and conductivity, and the strength of the magnetization. Additionally, the frequency of the radio waves also plays a critical role; higher frequencies typically experience more attenuation compared to lower frequencies when interacting with the same mesh.

How can the effectiveness of a magnetized iron mesh in attenuating radio waves be measured?

The effectiveness of a magnetized iron mesh in attenuating radio waves can be measured using several methods. One common approach is to set up a controlled test where radio waves are transmitted at known powers and frequencies through the mesh, and the attenuation level is measured using receivers. This can be quantified in terms of the mesh's shielding effectiveness, which is the ratio of the signal strength without the mesh to the signal strength with the mesh in place. This value helps in determining the mesh's suitability for specific applications.