Radioactive nucleus - why is alpha emitted and not proton

In summary, the emission of an alpha particle is beneficial to a nucleus being stable because it reduces the ratio of protons to neutrons, making the nucleus more stable. This is due to the strong nuclear force only acting over small distances, making large nuclei unstable. Additionally, alpha decay is more energetically favorable than other forms of decay, as helium-4 is a doubly magic nucleus. In contrast, proton emission is usually not favored as it would require adding energy to the nucleus to occur.
Yhaz
So I recently heard of a simple way of thinking about how the emission of an alpha particle is "beneficial" to a nucleus being stable.

The argument goes as follows:

"Let's say we have a nucleus that is unstable because the electric repulsion of protons can't balance out the strong force that tries to keep the nucleus in one piece.

Emitting an alpha particle reduces the ratio of protons to neutron in a nucleus so this will make a more stable nucleus. "

So, I realize that this is a very simplified version of the story but I know nearly nothing about nuclear physics but this argument seems to be a useful way to rationalize why helium decay makes the nucleus more stable.

My question is that, a proton emission is also beneficial to reduce the ratio of protons to neutrons, why is it that nature seems to go with alpha decay instead?

I did some googling and had a look at the theory of alpha decay by Gamow; how he deduced it from QM. That's explicatory, but I still think the question is valid, and I couldn't really find anything else on it, possibly I don't know what to search for. As I say I am null with nuclear physics & this sort of advanced physics in general, but I'm curious and would appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
I usually associated alpha decay with a desire to form smaller nuclei.

If you recall, the strong nuclear force only acts over small distances, while electrostatic repulsion acts over long distances. A consequence of this is that large nuclei tend to be unstable. This is why all elements heavier than uranium are unstable.

Alpha decay is a mode of decay that efficiently decreases the size of a nucleus. It is also more energetically favourable than other forms of decay because helium-4 is a doubly magic nucleolus and thus very very stable.

Nuclei that are proton rich decay by positron emission (beta +) or electron capture. Both of these processes "convert" a proton into a neutron which is more efficient in approaching a favourable proton to neutron ratio than proton emission.

Likes 1 person
There are rare single proton and double proton decays. However, these are usually energetically unfavorable.

There is chart of nucleides that shows the radioactive isotopes of the elements. In the chart you can literally draw a line through the stable isotopes. It also tells you how the isotopes usually decay and their half lives. If I remember correctly the manner of decay is pretty constant for where the isotopes lie in reference to that line. I know it doesn't answer your question but it might help you.

Likes 1 person
Yhaz said:
So I recently heard of a simple way of thinking about how the emission of an alpha particle is "beneficial" to a nucleus being stable.

The argument goes as follows:

"Let's say we have a nucleus that is unstable because the electric repulsion of protons can't balance out the strong force that tries to keep the nucleus in one piece.

Emitting an alpha particle reduces the ratio of protons to neutron in a nucleus so this will make a more stable nucleus. "

So, I realize that this is a very simplified version of the story but I know nearly nothing about nuclear physics but this argument seems to be a useful way to rationalize why helium decay makes the nucleus more stable.

My question is that, a proton emission is also beneficial to reduce the ratio of protons to neutrons, why is it that nature seems to go with alpha decay instead?

I did some googling and had a look at the theory of alpha decay by Gamow; how he deduced it from QM. That's explicatory, but I still think the question is valid, and I couldn't really find anything else on it, possibly I don't know what to search for. As I say I am null with nuclear physics & this sort of advanced physics in general, but I'm curious and would appreciate it if you would point me in the right direction.

Proton emission would be endothermic reaction for heavy nuclei. You would have to add considerable energy to the nucleus for it to be able to occur and thus would not happen spontaneously. You can calculate the mass defect yourself: http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/qcalc/

Likes 1 person
look at the wiki on magic number

1. What is the difference between alpha emission and proton emission?

Alpha emission is a type of radioactive decay in which an alpha particle (consisting of two protons and two neutrons) is released from the nucleus. Proton emission, on the other hand, is a type of radioactive decay in which a proton is emitted from the nucleus. The main difference between the two is that alpha particles have a higher mass and charge compared to protons.

2. Why is alpha emission more common than proton emission?

Alpha emission is more common than proton emission because alpha particles are more stable than protons. Alpha particles have a lower energy state and are less likely to undergo further decay, while protons have a higher energy state and are more likely to decay into a more stable particle.

3. What determines whether a nucleus emits an alpha particle or a proton?

The decision to emit an alpha particle or a proton is based on the stability of the nucleus. Nuclei with a high number of protons are more likely to emit alpha particles, while those with a low number of protons are more likely to emit protons.

4. Can a nucleus emit both an alpha particle and a proton?

Yes, a nucleus can emit both an alpha particle and a proton. This is known as double decay and occurs when the nucleus is in an unstable energy state and needs to release excess energy in the form of both an alpha particle and a proton.

5. What are the potential dangers of alpha and proton emission?

Both alpha and proton emission can be harmful in large doses, as they can ionize surrounding molecules and cause damage to cells and tissues. However, alpha particles have a higher ionizing power and can cause more damage compared to protons.