Radioactivity and Quantum Zeno Question

In summary: However, if the instability is caused by a small perturbation, Delta H can be very small and the quantum Zeno effect can operate.
musik132
Radioactivity is independent of the time the radioactive element was produced.
If i remember correctly (which is a big IF, correct me if I'm wrong) this has to do with the collapse of the wavefunction into a definite state by "measurements" and then slipping back into a wave to evolve again with determinism by the Schrodinger equation. Future measurements would find the particle is decayed or not with a certain probability.

Quantum Zeno effect has been observed in that repeated "measurements" are able to slow decay of various excited states.

So if we have a large dense lump of some radioactive isotope how does decay rate or its lifetime not depend on the amount of stuff in it. Wouldn't macroscopic section be able to "measure" (I'm using the quotes since I'm not entirely sure what constitutes as measurements) other sections repeatedly as to make that section not decay or slow it down. Density would also come into play by making the "measurements" more frequent I guess right?

Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting question. I'm not sure, but the wiki article has this to say:

By its nature, the effect appears only in systems with distinguishable quantum states, and hence is inapplicable to classical phenomena and macroscopic bodies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_Zeno_effect#Description

Hmmm, I wonder what it means exactly by distinguishable quantum states.

Is this that divide between quantum systems and classical systems because there are some relatively large systems that behave quantum mechanically. And these relatively large system of radioactive isotopes would show some correlation to delayed decay if we were able to measure such small changes in decay time right?

Sorry, I am not that far in my understanding in QM so can anyone explain when or how something becomes non distinguishable as you keep adding things to a system. The system does become more complex as you add more particles but does that make it indistinguishable or are we just unable to discern the differences.

For the quantum Zeno effect to work, the measurement must be sufficiently fast. More precisely, the time of measurement must be much shorter than 1/Delta H (where I use units hbar=1 and Delta H is the uncertainty of energy in the unstable state).

In most cases Delta H is large enough (and density small enough) so that the quantum Zeno effect does not work.

1. What is radioactivity?

Radioactivity is the process by which unstable atoms release energy in the form of radiation. This radiation can take the form of alpha, beta, or gamma particles, and it can also release energy in the form of electromagnetic waves.

2. How does radioactivity occur?

Radioactivity occurs when an atom has an unstable nucleus, meaning that it has an imbalance of protons and neutrons. In order to reach a more stable state, the atom will release energy in the form of radiation, which can change its nucleus and potentially create a different element.

3. What is the Quantum Zeno effect?

The Quantum Zeno effect is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where continuous observation or measurement of a quantum system can prevent it from changing or evolving. In other words, by constantly observing a system, we can "freeze" its state and prevent it from undergoing any changes.

4. How does the Quantum Zeno effect relate to radioactivity?

The Quantum Zeno effect can be applied to radioactivity in the sense that continuous observation or measurement of a radioactive atom can slow down its rate of decay. This is because the act of measuring the atom can interfere with its decay process, potentially prolonging its stability.

5. Can the Quantum Zeno effect be used to control radioactivity?

While the Quantum Zeno effect can potentially slow down the rate of decay, it cannot be used to completely stop or control radioactivity. This is because the effect only works as long as the system is being continuously observed, and once the observation stops, the decay process will resume as normal.