Radius of Converge Complex Analysis

In summary, the radius of convergence for the power series is 1/2, as determined by the limsup of the terms of the series.
gbean

Homework Statement

Find the radius of convergence of [tex]\sum[/tex]cnz[tex]^{n}[/tex] if c2k = 2[tex]^{k}[/tex] and c2k-1 = (1+1/k)[tex]^{k^{2}}[/tex], k = 1, 2, 3...

Homework Equations

1/R = limsup as n=> infinity |cn|^1/n

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not really sure where to start with this. I know that it's a power series, and to find the radius of convergence, I can use the formula as stated above, but that doesn't seem helpful.

If I tried that, then limsup |c2k|^1/n = (2^k)^(1/n) = 1?

And then, limsup |c2k-1|^1/n = ((1+1/k)^(k^2))^(1/n) = 1? So the radius of convergence of any power series is unique, and the smaller of the 2 radii has to be used, so it's just 1? Is this correct?

Working out the terms of the series, it seems like c2k is adding up to infinity, and c2k-1 is getting infinitely smaller, but never reaches 0. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to derive from this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I would approach this problem by first understanding the definition of the radius of convergence and how it relates to the terms of the power series. The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the power series at which the series will converge. In other words, it is the maximum value of x for which the series will converge.

Next, I would look at the given values for c2k and c2k-1 and try to determine a pattern or relationship between them. I notice that c2k is increasing exponentially while c2k-1 is decreasing exponentially. This suggests that the terms of the series are alternating and may not converge for all values of x.

Then, I would apply the formula for the radius of convergence, |cn|^1/n, to the given values of c2k and c2k-1. This would give me limsup |c2k|^1/n = 2 and limsup |c2k-1|^1/n = 1. This means that the radius of convergence is 1/2, since it is the smaller of the two values.

Finally, I would test the convergence of the series at x = 1/2 and x = -1/2 to confirm that the series does indeed converge within this radius. This can be done by using the ratio test or the root test.

In conclusion, the radius of convergence for the given power series is 1/2. This means that the series will converge for all values of x within this radius, and may or may not converge for values outside of this radius.

Related to Radius of Converge Complex Analysis

1. What is the radius of convergence in complex analysis?

The radius of convergence in complex analysis refers to the distance from the center of a complex power series to the nearest singularity. It is the maximum distance from the center at which the series can converge.

2. How is the radius of convergence determined?

The radius of convergence is determined by applying the Cauchy-Hadamard theorem, which states that the radius of convergence is equal to the reciprocal of the limit superior of the nth root of the absolute value of the coefficients in the series.

3. Can the radius of convergence be infinite?

Yes, the radius of convergence can be infinite if the series converges for all complex numbers, meaning there are no singularities within the entire complex plane.

4. What happens if the radius of convergence is zero?

If the radius of convergence is zero, it means that the series does not converge for any complex number, and thus is not a valid power series representation of a function.

5. How is the radius of convergence used in complex analysis?

The radius of convergence is used to determine the interval of convergence for a power series, which is the range of values for which the series will converge. It is also used to analyze the behavior of functions and their derivatives at specific points within the complex plane.