Railway truck impulse physics homework

In summary, a railway truck S with a mass of 2000 kg traveling east at a constant speed of 12 m/s collides with a truck T traveling west at a constant speed of 6 m/s. The magnitude of the impulse of T on S is 28,800 Ns. To calculate the speed of S immediately after the collision, the equation 28800 = 2000(v-12) is used. However, the markscheme has it as 28800 = 2000(12-v), resulting in different solutions. This is due to taking into account that the impulse is negative since it points west. As long as one is consistent with their signs, the same answer for the speed will be obtained.
nokia8650
A railway truck S of mass 2000 kg is traveling due east along a straight horizontal track with constant speed 12 m s–1. The truck S collides with a truck T which is traveling due west along the same track as S with constant speed 6 m s–1. The magnitude of the impulse of T on S is 28 800 Ns.

Calculate the speed of S immediately after the collision

My calculation goes:

28800 = 2000(v-12)

However, the markscheme has it as 28800 = 2000(12-v)

Both of these clearly yield different solutions. Is it due to the fact that the impulse is in fact -28800 (minus 28800)? How would one know that though?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account that you take one direction as +ve and the other as -ve (i.e. take all vectors going due east as +ve and all due west as -ve)?

nokia8650 said:
Both of these clearly yield different solutions. Is it due to the fact that the impulse is in fact -28800 (minus 28800)?
Yes.
How would one know that though?
By being careful with your signs. Let's call east to be positive. Thus the initial speed of S is + 12 m/s. The impulse is negative, since it must point west.

It doesn't matter whether you call east positive or negative. As long as you're consistent, you'll get the same answer for the speed.

Thanks alot, I understand now.

so what is the answer guys?

mighty jk said:
so what is the answer guys?
That's for you to figure out.

pleasezzzzz doc I am so stuck pleasezzzzzzzzzzzz

mighty jk said:
pleasezzzzz doc I am so stuck pleasezzzzzzzzzzzz
Show what you did so far.

28800=2000 (12-v)
28800=24000-2000v
4800=2000v
2800=v

is the right?

mighty jk said:
28800=2000 (12-v)
28800=24000-2000v
4800=2000v
2800=v

is the right?
It was OK until the last line. (Divide, don't subtract.)

ty dude u rock=P

Related to Railway truck impulse physics homework

What is the definition of impulse in railway truck physics?

Impulse is the change in momentum of a railway truck caused by a force acting on it for a specific amount of time.

What is the equation for calculating impulse in railway truck physics?

The equation for calculating impulse is I = mΔv, where I is impulse, m is the mass of the railway truck, and Δv is the change in velocity.

How does impulse affect the motion of a railway truck?

Impulse causes a change in the velocity of a railway truck, which in turn affects its motion. A larger impulse will result in a greater change in velocity, leading to a greater change in motion.

What factors can affect the impulse of a railway truck?

The factors that can affect the impulse of a railway truck include the force applied, the duration of the force, and the mass and initial velocity of the truck.

How is impulse related to other concepts in railway truck physics, such as momentum and force?

Impulse is directly related to momentum, as it is the change in momentum caused by a force. It is also related to force, as the larger the force applied, the greater the impulse will be.