Raise Water Temperature 20kcal - How to Calculate?

In summary: Celsius. You can use a calorimeter to measure the heat evolved during the process. This will give you an idea of how much energy is required to raise the temperature of the water by a certain amount.
gnome222
Suppose there is beaker filled with 1L of water.
EDIT: You want to raise the temperature of this beaker by 20kcal. The thing that I don't understand is how would you go about doing so. Like one cal is energy required to raise one gram of water by one celsius. But what would you use to raise the temperature ad how would you convert that you energy (like what if you use fire or something like that)

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
gnome222 said:
Suppose there is beaker filled with 1L of water. You want to raise the temperature of this beaker by 20kcal. The thing that I don't understand is how would you go about doing so. My thigh is that you would take immersion heater and take a separate beaker as your test beaker with 1L of water and put the immersion beaker in it and time how long would it take to raise the temperature of that beaker by 1 degree of Celsius, which would be one kcal. So to raise the temperature to 20kcal you would multiply the 20 by the time it takes to raise it by one kcal. Is this approach correct? Thanks

20 kcal is not a temperature, it is a quantity of energy. Then you start talking about the time it takes to raise the temperature of water 1 degree. It's not clear what you are asking.

SteamKing said:
20 kcal is not a temperature, it is a quantity of energy. Then you start talking about the time it takes to raise the temperature of water 1 degree. It's not clear what you are asking.
Well, ok so you have one liter of water and you want to raise it by 20 kcal. The thing is that i don't know how would you go about doing that.

Well, it's difficult to grab a bag containing a certain amount of heat and stuff it into a container of water.

There are certain calorimeters where a known quantity of a substance is reacted or combusted so that the total amount of heat evolved can be calculated. The change in temperature of the water can then be measured.

For more info, see this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorimeter

gnome222 said:
Well, ok so you have one liter of water and you want to raise it by 20 kcal. The thing is that i don't know how would you go about doing that.
Heat it up until the temperature increases by about 20 degrees

1. How do I calculate the amount of energy needed to raise water temperature by 20 kcal?

In order to calculate the amount of energy needed to raise water temperature by 20 kcal, you will need to use the specific heat capacity formula. This formula is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of energy needed, m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity of water (1 calorie/gram °C), and ΔT is the change in temperature (20 kcal).

2. What is the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. The specific heat capacity of water is 1 calorie/gram °C, which is higher than most other substances, making water a good heat absorber and regulator.

3. How do I convert kcal to joules?

Kilocalories (kcal) and joules (J) are both units of energy. To convert kcal to joules, you will need to use the conversion factor of 1 kcal = 4.184 J. Therefore, to convert 20 kcal to joules, you would multiply 20 kcal by 4.184 J, resulting in 83.68 J.

4. Is there a difference between raising the temperature of water by 20 kcal and 20 degrees Celsius?

Yes, there is a difference between raising the temperature of water by 20 kcal and 20 degrees Celsius. The unit of kcal is a unit of energy, whereas degrees Celsius is a unit of temperature. Raising the temperature of water by 20 kcal means adding 20,000 calories of energy to the water, while raising the temperature by 20 degrees Celsius means increasing the temperature by 20 degrees on the Celsius scale, which is equivalent to 36 degrees Fahrenheit.

5. How does raising the water temperature by 20 kcal affect its physical properties?

Raising the water temperature by 20 kcal will increase its physical properties, such as volume, density, and vapor pressure. This is because the added energy will cause the water molecules to move faster and further apart, resulting in an increase in volume and a decrease in density. The increased temperature will also cause more water molecules to evaporate, increasing the vapor pressure of the water.