What is the Probability of Certain Digits Not Appearing in a Random Selection?

• MHB
  • Thread starter WMDhamnekar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Random
In summary, the probability that among k random digits, (a) 0 does not appear is (9/10)^k, (b) 1 does not appear is also (9/10)^k, (c) neither 0 nor 1 appears is (81/100)^k, and (d) at least one of the two digits 0 and 1 does not appear is 2(9/10)^k - (81/100)^k. These events can also be expressed in terms of A and B, where A represents event (a) and B represents event (b), as event (c) = A*B and event (d) = A union B.
WMDhamnekar
MHB
What is the probability that among k random digits,

(a) 0 does not appear;

(b) 1 does not appear;

(c) neither 0 nor 1 appears;

(d) at least one of the two digits 0 and 1 does not appear?

Let A and B represents the events in (a) and (b). Express the other events in terms of A and B.

My answer to (a) : $\displaystyle\sum_{k=1}^{5}\binom{5}{k} (0.1)^k\cdot (0.9)^{5-k}= 0.40951$ = The probability that 0 appears in 5 random digits. So, 0 does not appear in 5 random digits is 1-0.40951 = 0.59049. ∴ In general terms, the answer is $(\frac{9}{10})^k$

My answer to (b):Same as computed for (a)

My answer to (c) :$(\frac{81}{100})^k$

My answer to (d): $ 2(\frac{9}{10})^k - (\frac{81}{100}) ^k$

If A= event (a) and B= event (b) , Other event can be expressed in terms of A and B as event (c)= A*B and event (d) = $A\cup B$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
WMDhamnekar said:
My answer to (a) : ## \sum_{k=1}^{5}\binom{5}{k} (0.1)^k\cdot (0.9)^{5-k}= 0.40951 ## = The probability that 0 appears in 5 random digits. So, 0 does not appear in 5 random digits is 1-0.40951 = 0.59049.
That's a very complicated way to work it out.

WMDhamnekar said:
In general terms, the answer is ## (\frac{9}{10})^k ##
That's correct, and a much simpler way to work it out that bears no relation to what came before, so what was the point in that?

WMDhamnekar said:
My answer to (b):Same as computed for (a)
Clearly.

WMDhamnekar said:
My answer to (c) : ## (\frac{81}{100})^k ##
So would your answer to the question "P(none of {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9} appears)" be ## \left ( \frac{9^{10}}{10^{10}} \right )^k ##?

WMDhamnekar said:
My answer to (d): ## 2(\frac{9}{10})^k - (\frac{81}{100}) ^k ##
You've got the right idea here, but you need to get (c) right and this should follow.

1. What is the significance of random digits appearance in scientific research?

Random digits appearance is important in scientific research because it allows for the random selection of samples and helps to reduce bias in experiments. This ensures that the results obtained are more accurate and can be generalized to a larger population.

2. How are random digits generated?

Random digits can be generated using various methods such as computer algorithms, random number tables, or physical devices like dice or coins. These methods ensure that the digits are truly random and unbiased.

3. Can random digits appearance be predicted?

No, random digits appearance cannot be predicted. The whole point of using random digits is to eliminate any patterns or predictability. Each digit has an equal chance of appearing, making it truly random.

4. What is the difference between random digits and random numbers?

Random digits are single digits (0-9) that are used to represent numbers in a sequence, while random numbers can be any number within a given range. Random digits are commonly used for sampling and randomization, while random numbers are used for a variety of applications such as cryptography and simulations.

5. How is the randomness of random digits verified?

The randomness of random digits can be verified through statistical tests, such as the Chi-square test or the Kolmogorov-Smirnov test. These tests analyze the distribution of the digits and determine if they are truly random or if there is some bias present.