Randomly Assigning 0 or 1 to a Vector in MATLAB

• Thread starter p-williams65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matlab
In summary, The problem is to randomly assign a 0 or 1 to a random entry in a column vector of 100 entries, and repeat this process 1 million times. The given code works for a single iteration, but a for loop is needed to automate the process. The solution was provided in a previous thread.
p-williams65

Homework Statement

Hi. The problem assigned to me is to take a column vector of 100 entries and then to randomly assign add a 0 or 1 to a random entry, and then to repeat this "n" # of times, where the upper "n" is 1 million.

I have this so far

h = zeros(100,1)
h(round(rand(1)*100)) = randint(1) + h(round(rand(1)*100))

If I manually copy and paste the bottom command in MATLAB, it seems to work fine, but obviously I can't copy and paste this a million times. I don't know how to implement a "for" loop exactly, for this cause. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at the other thread you posted. In that thread you were given an example of how to implement a for loop in matlab.

Figured it out; the problem wasn't the for loop. Thx.

Last edited:

1. How can I repeat a command multiple times in MATLAB?

To repeat a command multiple times in MATLAB, you can use a for loop or a while loop. Both of these loops allow you to specify the number of times you want the command to be repeated.

2. Is there a way to repeat a command until a certain condition is met in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use a while loop to repeat a command until a certain condition is met. The loop will continue to run until the condition evaluates to false.

3. Can I use a specific number of iterations when repeating a command in MATLAB?

Yes, you can specify the number of iterations in a for loop to repeat a command a specific number of times. This is useful when you know exactly how many times you want the command to be repeated.

4. How do I stop a command from repeating in MATLAB?

To stop a command from repeating in MATLAB, you can use the break keyword inside a loop. This will immediately terminate the loop and move on to the next line of code.

5. Can I repeat a command with different inputs in MATLAB?

Yes, you can use a for loop to repeat a command with different inputs. You can store the inputs in an array and use the loop index to access each input during each iteration of the loop.