Rank charges in spheres (Physics 2)

In summary, Sphere 3 has a net positive charge and is repelling the positives in Sphere 2 while attracting the negatives. This causes Sphere 2 to have a negative charge and Sphere 1 to remain neutral. However, the ranking of the charges does not match the logic presented.
isukatphysics69

Homework Statement

PHYS2.PNG

Homework Equations

None (conceptual)

The Attempt at a Solution

My logic here is this, Sphere 3 has a net positive charge so it is repelling the positives in sphere 2 and attracting the negatives in sphere 2. This means that D has negative charge and C has positive charge. Since sphere 1 and sphere 2 are both neutral to start they have no effect on each other so the primary catalyst here is sphere 3. after sphere 3 rearranges the electrons on sphere 2 sphere 2 has an effect on sphere 1, attracting the negatives towards it and repelling the positives. That is how I got my ranking here. Am I correct with my thinking here?

Attachments

• PHYS2.PNG
    PHYS2.PNG
    13.2 KB · Views: 503
Physics news on Phys.org
The logic seem all right, but the ranking doesn’t seem to match. Are you sure you didn’t think one thing and write another?

1. What are rank charges in spheres?

Rank charges in spheres refer to the distribution of electric charge on the surface of a spherical object. This distribution can be positive, negative, or neutral, and it determines the electric field and potential around the sphere.

2. How are rank charges in spheres calculated?

The charge on a sphere can be calculated by dividing the total charge by the surface area of the sphere. This gives the charge density, which is then used to determine the electric field and potential around the sphere.

3. How does the distance from the center of the sphere affect rank charges?

The closer the point is to the center of the sphere, the more uniform the electric field and potential will be. As the distance from the center increases, the electric field and potential become less uniform due to the inverse square law.

4. Can rank charges in spheres be manipulated?

Yes, the charge on a sphere can be manipulated by adding or removing charge from the surface. This will change the charge density and therefore alter the electric field and potential around the sphere.

5. How are rank charges in spheres related to Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. Rank charges in spheres follow this law, as the electric field and potential are determined by the charge on the surface of the sphere and the distance from the center.