Rank the cases from greatest to smallest in order of magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem related to force vectors exerted on an object, with each case having the same magnitude F_o. The task is to rank the cases from greatest to smallest in terms of the total force, which is the vector sum of the individual forces exerted on the object. The solution involves using the Pythagorean theorem to calculate the magnitude of the forces for each case, but the book's answer of B>C>A is incorrect.
Rijad Hadzic

Homework Statement

http://imgur.com/PUrHBaa
Question 13 in the middle of the page.

Each case in the figure shows an example of force vectors exerted on an object. These forces are all of the same magnitude F_o. Assume the forces lie in the plane of the paper. Rank the cases from greatest to smallest in order of magnitude of the total force. Note: the total force is the vector sum of the individual forces exerted on the objct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so they say they all have the same magnitude, so I chose value 1 for F_o just to make it simple.

That gives me a magnitude of 1 for case C.

For case B, you have F_y = 1 + sin (5deg) and F_x = cos (5 deg). using (a^2 + b^2 )^(1/2) you get 1.47 N

For case A you have F_y = 1 - sin (5 deg) and F_x = cos (5 deg). Using (a^2 + b^2 )^(1/2) you get 1.35 N

but my book tells me the answer is B>C>A

Is my book just wrong? Or am I doing this wrong? This is simple pythagorean theorem..

Physics news on Phys.org
Rijad Hadzic said:
my book tells me the answer is B>C>A
Your book is wrong. Not until the angle is increased from 5 degrees to 30 degrees would the net force in A have as low a magnitude as |Fo|.

haruspex said:
Your book is wrong. Not until the angle is increased from 5 degrees to 30 degrees would the net force in A have as low a magnitude as |Fo|.
Man I am not sure if I should just throw this book away or not now lol. I think there are some problems in the early chapters but jts better in the late chapters for some reason.. I already took this course but I am going back and strengthening my knowledge..

1. What is meant by "order of magnitude"?

"Order of magnitude" refers to the scale or size of a number, typically measured in powers of 10. It helps to understand the relative difference between different values and allows for easier comparison between numbers.

2. How do you rank cases from greatest to smallest in order of magnitude?

To rank cases from greatest to smallest in order of magnitude, you need to identify the largest number and then arrange the remaining numbers in decreasing order, with each number being 10 times smaller than the previous one. This can also be done by determining the number of zeros after the first non-zero digit in each number.

3. What are some examples of cases that can be ranked in order of magnitude?

Examples of cases that can be ranked in order of magnitude include population sizes of different cities or countries, sizes of objects in the universe such as stars or planets, and the magnitude of natural disasters such as earthquakes or hurricanes.

4. Why is it important to rank cases in order of magnitude?

Ranking cases in order of magnitude allows for better understanding and comparison of numerical values. It also helps to identify the relative difference between numbers and can be useful in making decisions or solving problems in various fields such as science, economics, and engineering.

5. Can cases with different units be ranked in order of magnitude?

Yes, cases with different units can be ranked in order of magnitude as long as they can be converted to a common unit. For example, the population size of a country can be compared to the number of stars in a galaxy by converting both values to scientific notation or by using a common unit such as millions or billions.