Ranking question about solubility

In summary, a ranking question about solubility is a type of question that asks respondents to rank a list of substances or compounds in order of their solubility in a solvent. It is different from other types of questions because it requires respondents to order a list of items based on a specific criteria, and it is commonly used in chemistry experiments. Some examples of substances that are commonly ranked in solubility experiments include salt, sugar, baking soda, and various types of acids and bases. Scientists use the results from a ranking question about solubility to gain valuable information about the solubility of different substances in different solvents, which can help them understand their chemical properties and behavior in various environments. However, there are limitations to using
sgstudent
Rank the following of increasing solubility in acetone, (CH3)2C=O
A. Oxygen B. CH3CH2CH2OH C. HOCH2CH2CH2OH

I know that acetone has dipole-dipole interactions but it is capable of hydrogen bonding as it has 2 hydrogen bond acceptors. So in A, there are only London Dispersion interactions so it is hardly soluble in acetone. But I'm having problems with comparing B and C. The reasoning is below and I hope you guys can clear out my misconception.

If I have an 1 to 1 ratio of acetone and propanol, there is a total of 1 hydrogen bond acceptor and 4 hydrogen bond acceptors. The maximum number of hydrogen bonds is 1. This is the same as in propanol so they are very soluble in each other.

While in an 1 to 1 ratio of acetone to 1,3-propandiol, there is a total of 2 hydrogen bond donors and 6 hydrogen bond acceptors. So the maximum number of hydrogen bonds is 2. This is also the same in the diol so they are also very soluble in each other.

So in both cases, they are equally good as the strongest interactions in the solution is the same as in the strongest interactions in the solute or solvent. So how should I tell which molecule is a more soluble in acetone? In my mind I'm thinking that they should be equally soluble.

How should I understand why the diol is more soluble in the acetone? Thanks :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
A. Oxygen B. CH3CH2CH2OH C. HOCH2CH2CH2OH The increasing order of solubility in acetone is A < B < C. This is because the oxygen has no hydrogen bonding capabilities, while both CH3CH2CH2OH and HOCH2CH2CH2OH can form hydrogen bonds with acetone molecules. However, the diol (C) has two OH groups that can form hydrogen bonds with acetone, which makes it more soluble than the monohydric alcohol (B).

A. Oxygen B. CH3CH2CH2OH C. HOCH2CH2CH2OH The answer is A < B < C, with increasing solubility in acetone. This is because oxygen has the weakest intermolecular forces since it has no hydrogen bonding or dipole-dipole interactions. Meanwhile, propanol and 1,3-propanediol can form hydrogen bonds with acetone due to their polar nature, and the diol has two more hydroxyl groups than the alcohol, allowing it to form twice as many hydrogen bonds. This makes it more soluble in acetone than propanol.

1. What is a ranking question about solubility?

A ranking question about solubility is a type of question that asks respondents to rank a list of substances or compounds in order of their solubility in a solvent. This type of question is commonly used in chemistry experiments to assess the solubility of different substances.

2. How is a ranking question about solubility different from other types of questions?

A ranking question about solubility is different from other types of questions because it requires respondents to order a list of items based on a specific criteria (in this case, solubility). Other types of questions may ask for a single response or for a comparison of two items.

3. What are some examples of substances that are commonly ranked in solubility experiments?

Some common substances that are ranked in solubility experiments include salt, sugar, baking soda, and various types of acids and bases. These substances are often tested in different solvents such as water, alcohol, and oil.

4. How do scientists use the results from a ranking question about solubility?

The results from a ranking question about solubility can provide valuable information about the solubility of different substances in different solvents. This can help scientists understand the chemical properties of these substances and how they interact with different solvents. The results can also be used to predict the behavior of these substances in various environments.

5. Are there any limitations to using a ranking question about solubility?

One limitation of using a ranking question about solubility is that it may not provide a complete picture of the solubility of a substance. This is because the ranking may not take into account the actual amount of the substance that can be dissolved in a given solvent. Additionally, the results may be affected by factors such as temperature and pressure, which may not be accounted for in the question. Therefore, it is important for scientists to consider these limitations when interpreting the results.