Ranta bout being an ME student

• Thread starter jehan60188
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Student
In summary, the conversation discusses the intense workload and challenges of studying engineering, particularly mechanical engineering. The speakers acknowledge the difficulty of graduating in four years and emphasize the importance of continued self-education and hard work in the field. They also note the difference in workload between engineering and other degree plans.
jehan60188
HOLY COW! I've got a BS in mathematics, which means my math/science/liberal arts/non-core stuff is already out of the way.
I'm still going to be taking 15 credit hours a semester for the next three years!

HOW can engineering be such an intense discipline?!
By my calculations, it's impossible to graduate in 4 years AND maintain your sanity!
I mean, I'm going to graduate, but WOW. My hats off to anyone that can do it from scratch!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Yeah, I came into the program core complete( and then some) and still have to take 12-14 hours for 6 semesters.

That's the fun of it!

If it was easy, there wouldn't be any point doing it :smile:

But don't get the idea that when you graduate your education is done. Actually, you will only have learned enough to start teaching yourself, for the next 20 or 30 years. That's assuming you don't want to get caught in a dead-end job that will be outsourced to Vietnam or Bangladesh, when wages in China get too expensive...

ok, 6 credit hours this summer, and 15 next semester. sanity maintained until december
oh, I'm an officer in Engineers Without Borders, and I have ME projects outside the classroom.
nevermind about that sanity thing...

While I agree that the more theoretical subjects such as physics or math would be more difficult conceptually, I feel like the work load as an ME student is incredibly high. Your post only confirms this, jehan.

It kinda makes sense, though, doesn't it? You wouldn't drive a car designed by a team of engineers that spent most of their time playing racquetball and hitting the bars in college, would you? I've talked to lots of engineers and they say you just can't give up, no matter how difficult it gets. Some took 5 to 8 years to get their BS. Don't give up hope :)

I was used to only studying for a few hours a semester outside of class for my calculus and physics classes. I'm taking all ME classes and Partial Differential Equations this semester and I spend 20-40 hours a week studying OUTSIDE of class.

I'm used to "just getting it," but many of these classes are based on doing massive amounts of work. It's worth it when the grades come in.

I can't comment on other degree plans, or how they really compare.

I must have studied about at least 15-20 minutes between frames of snooker.

@S_Happens: Welcome to mechanical engineering! Sounds like you have finally gotten to college. The paradigm for college assumes that you will study 2 hours outside of class for each hour of class time. Anything less, and you are not really getting the most out of your classes. What you are seeing, however, is that in Arts & Sciences, it is often possible to slide by with much, much less and still think you have done OK (even though you no doubt missed much that you could have learned had you worked harder). Now, in ME, you find that you simply cannot slide by; it does not work that way any longer. Welcome to mechanical engineering! It's a great career. Keep up the hard work.

Related to Ranta bout being an ME student

What is an ME student?

An ME student is a student who is pursuing a degree in Mechanical Engineering. This field of study involves the design, analysis, and production of mechanical systems and devices.

What do ME students learn?

ME students learn a wide range of topics, including thermodynamics, mechanics, materials science, and computer-aided design. They also gain practical skills through laboratory work and projects.

What type of jobs can ME students get?

ME students can work in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, energy, and manufacturing. Some common job titles for ME graduates include mechanical engineer, design engineer, and project manager.

What skills do ME students need?

ME students need strong mathematical and analytical skills, as well as a good understanding of physics and mechanics. They also need to be able to think creatively, work well in a team, and have good communication skills.

Is being an ME student difficult?

Being an ME student can be challenging, as it involves a lot of technical and theoretical knowledge. However, with hard work and dedication, it can also be very rewarding and lead to a successful career in the engineering field.