Rape by Deception in Israel: Sabbar Kashur's Story

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary, this story made me cringe: an Arab man convicted in Israel of rape because he pretended he was a Jew when he had consensual sex with a Jewish woman has called the verdict racist.
Werg22
This story made me cringe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10717186"

An Arab man convicted in Israel of rape because he pretended he was a Jew when he had consensual sex with a Jewish woman has called the verdict racist.

Sabbar Kashur, 30, was found guilty of "rape by deception" by the Israeli court and sentenced to 18 months in jail.

According to the complaint filed by the woman, the two met in a Jerusalem street in 2008 and had sex that day.

When she discovered he was not Jewish, but an Arab, she went to the police.

Kashur was arrested and charged with rape and indecent assault, but the charges were later replaced by a different charge of "rape by deception".

An Israeli response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0aRE6fcaE"

What are you thoughts? I find this verdict ridiculous. According to the woman in the video, if I get in bed with someone after telling them I own a Ferrari (which I don't), I've potentially committed rape. Are there similar cases in the West?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Statutory rape is the only example of consensual rape I can think of in the west.

They are messed up.

Things are different in the Middle East. At least the Israelis don't condone murder of the victims.

ABU QASH, West Bank — Raped by her brothers and impregnated, Rofayda Qaoud refused to commit suicide, her mother recalls, even after she bought the 17-year-old a razor with which to slit her wrists.

So Amira Abu Hanhan Qaoud says she did what she believes any good Palestinian parent would: restored her family's "honor" through murder.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2001793273_honorkilling17.html

RAMALLAH, West Bank -- A new report presents an alarming picture of the abuse of women in the Palestinian territories, with police, courts, and government agencies failing to treat violence such as rape and beatings as crimes.

Human Rights Watch cited practices such as rape victims being forced to marry assailants, and light sentences for men who kill female relatives suspected of adultery. In a report released Tuesday , the rights group said families, tribal leaders and authorities, backed by tradition and discriminatory laws, often sacrifice victims' interests for "family honor."

And the problem is getting worse with growing poverty and lawlessness in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, the New York-based group said.

http://www.boston.com/news/world/mi...lestinian_women_victims_of_societal_violence/

I don't think we, in the West, can sit back and judge. Or can we?

I don't agree with the verdict, it's political, but I am more apalled by the atrocities against women.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/29/politics/uwire/main3894875.shtml

California and Tennessee already have "rape by fraud" legislation..

This is not unheard of in America, though I don't know to what extent those laws reach

Office_Shredder said:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/02/29/politics/uwire/main3894875.shtml

This is not unheard of in America, though I don't know to what extent those laws reach
Interesting OS. I can't say that I can agree to a law that allows a woman to claim rape when she finds out that the guy she agreed to have sex with isn't rich. Doesn't that make her guilty of being a gold digging you know what? When do we start holding people responsible for their actions?

Evo said:
Things are different in the Middle East. At least the Israelis don't condone murder of the victims.

I don't agree with the verdict, it's political, but I am more apalled by the atrocities against women.

You are bringing up different issue that is irrelevant to the OP case. From the OP source:

There is a precedent in Israel for criminal charges being brought in such cases.

One man who told women he slept with he was a neurosurgeon in order to impress them was convicted of fraud.

A lawyer with the Public Defenders' Office said the court had gone too far.

"The test the court used is problematic," said Elkana Laist.

"Every time a man tells a woman he loves her, based on which she sleeps with him, he could be convicted of rape."

Kashur's lawyers say he will appeal against the sentence.

Around 20% of Israel's population are of Arab descent.

This might not be not related to racism.

This is definitely not unheard of. If a girl tells me she will only have sex with muslim men and I say great I'm muslim! Then I am definately without a doubt in my mind raping her by my deception. I'm pretty sure these laws exist in the western world too...

I fail to see AT ALL how this scenario can automatically be pressumed racially motivated. Aka racist.

Now obviously simple-minded people on these forums are going to jump the gun and start making rediculous claims about how this and that could possibly happen and that means the law is bogus. They of course have to prove that there is precedent for this and show that the provisions under the given law protect such behaviour.

Yeah, it looks ugly.

But then consider, and this is a point no one does, she could have claimed it was not consensual yet she didn't. So at least she's honest about her xenophobia.

rootX said:
They are messed up.

Yep.

Don't read their news. Just let them kill each other.

Evo said:
If you're in the US then you're pretty much responsible for the ongoing excess power of the Israeli government. So aside from what you seem to be hinting at, yes you should be judging this. (It's an interesting concept, whether one should be prosecuted for arbitrary untruthfulness in a relationship, but it seems likely that a different issue is at play in this case.)

zomgwtf said:
If a girl tells me she will only have sex with muslim men and I say great I'm muslim! Then I am definately without a doubt in my mind raping her by my deception. I'm pretty sure these laws exist in the western world too...
You would be guilty of fraud. (Though from the BBC it sounds like she mistakenly presumed from the sound of his name, rather than that he deliberately misrepresented himself.)

She would be guilty of discrimination on an unlawful basis. Surely it isn't kosher, when examining whether a person is a suitable partner, for their race (or even religion) to transparently be the sole deciding factor. If the offer of sex had been provable in writing, surely it would be tortuous if he were denied on those grounds alone. (It doesn't seem like she were unsatisfied with his cultural personality nor preconcerned with religious vows and ceremony.)

But he is certainly innocent of violently forcing sex upon her. To classify it rape devalues that word. (E.g., How much has this newstory changed your attitude to "rape-victims" in that region?)

Last edited:
There was a time when criminalization of seduction of adults actually made some sense:
a) In a strongly discriminatory society, where a woman was totally dependent upon a man for financial support, and her only hope in life was to find a decent enough husband, coupled with b) a societal idea that a woman once "used" was maritally useless, in such a situation, criminalization of seduction could be regarded as a rather pathetic attempt to "protect" women.*
(An unpathetic, and much better, alternative would be to dismantle the discriminatory ideals in that society).

People will lie and cheat in order to get into each other's bed, they will even change their underwear more often in order to make a good impression on a desired sex partner.

*(Note that the discriminatory ideals of past times placed women in general in roughly the same sort of dependency relation to males as, for example, a patient (in particular psychiatric cases) will stand in relation to his/her doctor. And such relations are, indeed, still proscribed, and rightly so)

Last edited:
arildno said:
criminalization of seduction could be regarded as a rather pathetic attempt to "protect" women.
Normally, the word "pathetic" has a strong negative connotation to it. You're not seriously intending that, are you? :confused:

Hypothetically speaking, can I have an ex-girlfriend thrown in jail because she told me that she was a "nice person"? :devil:

I agree that this makes a mockery of the term rape. Sleeping with someone the same day that you meet them clearly shows that she isn't very discriminating. She met a guy with a Jewish nickname, assumed that he was Jewish and slept with him. It doesn't really seem as though she took the time to really get to know him. As noted in the original article, what is to stop someone from claiming rape in this case?

"Every time a man tells a woman he loves her, based on which she sleeps with him, he could be convicted of rape."

Or, better yet, the case of https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2630422"? :rolleyes:

Hurkyl said:
Normally, the word "pathetic" has a strong negative connotation to it. You're not seriously intending that, are you? :confused:

With "pathetic", I meant a rather hopeless, irrational move that was way too insufficient to counter what it intended to do.

Werg22 said:
This story made me cringe: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-10717186"

An Israeli response: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O0aRE6fcaE"

What are you thoughts? I find this verdict ridiculous. According to the woman in the video, if I get in bed with someone after telling them I own a Ferrari (which I don't), I've potentially committed rape. Are there similar cases in the West?

Sounds like the moaning of a unhappy ***** who didnt got her way after spreading her legs.
She should be put in jail as well.

Hurkyl said:

Actually, yes, those kinds of laws are pathetic (with full negative connotations). If you follow this line of thought I know a quite high percentage of women who should be in jail (for similar reasons ranging from strategic presentation to downright lies to preserve a relationship with a partner of good social position and reasonable wealth)

The fact that some of your arguments are along the lines of "not wanting to have sex with a man of a different religion is wrong and illegal" is absolutely pathetic. sure, she must be pretty slutty to give it up on day one but to say that it's wrong of her to want a man of the same religion is just stupid. granted, the fact that that is grounds for rape is imo a bit ridiculous, but hey, i really don't give a ****.

I wonder if sticking your wet pinky into someone's ear is considered a form of rape?

AUK 1138 said:
The fact that some of your arguments are along the lines of "not wanting to have sex with a man of a different religion is wrong and illegal" is absolutely pathetic. sure, she must be pretty slutty to give it up on day one but to say that it's wrong of her to want a man of the same religion is just stupid. granted, the fact that that is grounds for rape is imo a bit ridiculous, but hey, i really don't give a ****.

Regarding the bold statement, which post(s) are you referring to?

cronxeh said:
I wonder if sticking your wet pinky into someone's ear is considered a form of rape?

Being an adult now I could promise that this would probably lead to an assault and battery :tongue2:

Pattonias said:
Being an adult now I could promise that this would probably lead to an assault and battery :tongue2:

I stuck my wet falange into your pinna! :rofl:

It seems to me that this would be a risk of casual sex. In most of the examples that have been given, taking a week to meet someone before consenting to sex would avoid most deception.

A while back someone posted a story about a Florida woman who sued a man for rape by fraud. I believe she actually married him and then found out sometime later that he had been a Cuban "spy". I'll have to look that up when I get home.

TheStatutoryApe said:
A while back someone posted a story about a Florida woman who sued a man for rape by fraud. I believe she actually married him and then found out sometime later that he had been a Cuban "spy". I'll have to look that up when I get home.

lol, he could have gotten a few hook ups using that as a pick-up line. "Hey baby, want to meet a real spy?".

cesiumfrog said:
She would be guilty of discrimination on an unlawful basis. Surely it isn't kosher, when examining whether a person is a suitable partner, for their race (or even religion) to transparently be the sole deciding factor. If the offer of sex had been provable in writing, surely it would be tortuous if he were denied on those grounds alone. (It doesn't seem like she were unsatisfied with his cultural personality nor preconcerned with religious vows and ceremony.)

My new pick-up line when hitting on college co-eds is going to be:

"If you don't have sex with me, I'll call my lawyer and sue you for age discrimination."

I find the whole idea ridiculous. Love is a buyer beware endeavor. No one forced her to have sex with a man she didn't know.

You know its funny.. when he took off his pants his weapon of choice for rape did not look any different from the one she intended to see :biggrin:

I have to wonder if she even bothered to tell the guy that not being Jewish was a dealbreaker. There is nothing in the article that stated that she listed her preconditions in advance.

If she did state her preconditions, did she state every one of them? What if he was Jewish and decided to change his religion after meeting her? I'm sure that she didn't have time for that discussion.

cronxeh said:
You know its funny.. when he took off his pants his weapon of choice for rape did not look any different from the one she intended to see :biggrin:

Jew vs. non-American, non-Jew; I believe it was supposed to look different.

i thought they said he was a muslim

*facepalm moment*

h'Okay let's backtrace the origin of this awesome joke.

Muslims and Jews both circumcise their children. Extrapolate-a-mundo

Last edited:
I think it they are making the argument that he wasn't Jewish, not that he is Muslim.

Here is the article at CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast/07/21/israel.rape.by.deception/index.html?iref=NS1"

Apparently she had at first tried to accuse him of actual rape, but the defence was able to prove that it was indeed consentual. This rape by deception thing was the next charge brought.

If someone has sex with a mall santa, can they sue when they find out he isn't really Santa Clause?

I heard about this on the radio today too. Apparently, she met him at a gas station, talked about and admired his motor bike, then they went across the road to a building and had sex.

You would suppose there was SOME onus on the woman here. I think it's sour grapes (that he wasn't Jewish) on her part.

Look, if it had been a month long deception on his part, she might have a case - but she just met him at the gas station and agreed to bonk with him.
Sheesh !

(I should drive my bike to the gas station more often)

And how can she know she would want to marry the guy after a day? He could be a big jerk for that matter, oh but wait... he's supposedly jewish and wealthy... It's ok then.

I believe that we are watching the antics of two crazy people. I have decided to stop trying to apply reason to this exchange.

What probably really happened:
She made a random hook-up.
Someone found out so she screamed rape.
They pressed charges and the defence showed it was concentual.
She is facing charges for raising false allegations.
The prosecuter thought up this way to raise the charges again.
Her boyfriend/fiance/husband is going to leave her regardless.
Guy will learn not to hook up with a random girl at the gas station because that is a crazy thing to do and it will most likely end up entagling you with a crazy person. Of course, a sane person would know this so I think they are both crazy.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neither of these people are devoit followers of their repective religions so I can't honestly take there views on the religouse matter seriously.

Wouldn't the burdon of proof be on the prosecution? If I wanted to prove I was Jewish I don't think I could do it. And if you wanted to prove that I wasn't, I don't think you could do it either.