Raspberry Pi 4 / Debian : Static IP on one SSID and Dynamic on another

In summary, the Raspberry Pi 4 has a GUI widget for specifying WLAN settings on a per-SSID basis, but it does not work and all SSIDs end up with the same setting. Some sources suggest modifying the dhcpd.conf file with an entry for the SSID and static IP parameters, but it is unclear how to specify a dynamic IP for a given SSID on the same interface. It is also unclear how to mix static and dynamic IP addresses on a per-SSID basis for a given WLAN. It is uncertain if this can be done by altering the dhcpd.conf file, as it is typically used for static IP addresses. Further investigation is needed on how to mix static and dynamic IP addresses on a network.
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
My Raspberry Pi 4 has a GUI widget that is supposed to let us specify WLAN settings on a per-SSID basis, but it doesn't work. (All SSIDs end up with the same setting).

Some articles on the net say that one can modify the dhcpd.conf file with an entry headed by the SSID name and then put in static IP parameters in that section. But I couldn't find how to specify a dynamic IP for a given SSID on the same interface (and to mix static and dynamic on a per-SSID basis for a given WLAN).

How can this be done?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I don't think you can dynamically allocate by altering the dhcp.conf file. It is for the static IP's only. When I did my cluster, I had to put static IP's so that everyone could see each other, and my POE swtich assigned IP's.

As for mixing static and dynamics on a network, I'd have to investigate a little. Usually statics are given to printers etc so everyone can see them all the time.

Let me cogitate a little and get back to you.

1. What is Raspberry Pi 4 and Debian?

Raspberry Pi 4 is a single-board computer developed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. Debian is a popular open-source operating system that runs on the Raspberry Pi 4.

2. How can I set a static IP on one SSID and dynamic IP on another using Raspberry Pi 4 and Debian?

To set a static IP on one SSID and dynamic IP on another, you can edit the network configuration file and add the desired IP addresses for each network. This can be done through the graphical user interface or by editing the network configuration file directly.

3. Why would I want to have a static IP on one SSID and a dynamic IP on another?

Having a static IP on one SSID can be useful for devices that need a consistent IP address, such as a server or printer. On the other hand, having a dynamic IP on another SSID can allow for more flexibility and ease of use for devices that do not require a dedicated IP address.

4. Can I have multiple SSIDs with different IP configurations on Raspberry Pi 4 and Debian?

Yes, you can have multiple SSIDs with different IP configurations on Raspberry Pi 4 and Debian by configuring the network settings for each network individually.

5. Are there any limitations to setting a static IP on one SSID and a dynamic IP on another with Raspberry Pi 4 and Debian?

The only limitation may be the hardware capabilities of the Raspberry Pi 4, such as the number of network interfaces. Otherwise, there should not be any limitations to setting a static IP on one SSID and a dynamic IP on another with Raspberry Pi 4 and Debian.