Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter

In summary, you are looking at RFD900 Radio Modem or SiK telemetry radio solutions for bidirectional communication between a raspberry pi 0w and another device. The raspberry pi 0w would be the receiver and the other device would be the transmitter. If the devices are not fixed in position, a modulated laser diode and optics could be used to create a link. The data bandwidth needed for the communication would be determined by the requirements of the project.
nduka-san
TL;DR Summary
I'm currently trying to make a remote control for a robot using a raspberry pi 0w as its cpu
For a project that I'm making it has a raspberry pi 0w as its cpu for running autonomously, But I want to make use the raspberry pi 0w as the receiver as well. The range needed is about 3000 feet minimum. Currently I have been looking at some rc and drone receivers that would work as well, but I want to use a raspberry pi to save money.
here are the links for the receivers and transmitters I am looking athttps://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...149&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy...367&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Physics news on Phys.org
It is not clear what kind of functionality you need. Raspberry Pi Zero W is not a receiver per se, although it has a built in WiFi module. 3000 ft will be too much for both WiFi and standard RC transmitters/receivers as the ones you linked. I would look into solutions used by Ardupilot and Pixhawk, things like RFD900 Radio Modem or SiK telemetry radio.

Likes sysprog
Borek said:
It is not clear what kind of functionality you need. Raspberry Pi Zero W is not a receiver per se, although it has a built in WiFi module. 3000 ft will be too much for both WiFi and standard RC transmitters/receivers as the ones you linked. I would look into solutions used by Ardupilot and Pixhawk, things like RFD900 Radio Modem or SiK telemetry radio.
Thanks for the advice the RFD900 Radio Modem looks good but what about a transmitter, since it only a receiver?

As far as I am aware for bidirectional communication you just take two RFD900, they are both transmitters and receivers.

Likes sysprog
If a $30 device (one of your links) is too expensive, why are you looking at two $80 devices?
I think you need to be clearer as to your requirements.

Likes sysprog
nduka-san said:
For a project that I'm making it has a raspberry pi 0w as its cpu for running autonomously, But I want to make use the raspberry pi 0w as the receiver as well. The range needed is about 3000 feet minimum.
Are the two devices fixed in position? Do they have a clear line of sight between them?

If so, you could consider using a modulated laser diode and optics to complete the link. What data bandwidth do you need?

If not, can you just use cellphone communication? Be sure to sign up for the unlimited data plans for the two devices... :wink:

Likes Vanadium 50 and sysprog
nduka-san said:
Thanks for the advice the RFD900 Radio Modem looks good but what about a transmitter, since it only a receiver?
As @Borek has pointed out, that device is both a transmitter and a receiver ##-## just as the term 'modem' is a contraction for 'modulator-demodulater', the term 'transceiver' is a contraction for 'transmitter-receiver' ##-## please look around before buying ##\dots##

Vanadium 50 said:
If a $30 device (one of your links) is too expensive, why are you looking at two $80 devices?
I think you need to be clearer as to your requirements.
I'm willing to shell out the money for higher quality. I'm just trying to decrease the cost of my project so I can distribute it to other things .

1. What is a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter?

A Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter is a small, low-cost computer that can be used for wireless communication. It is equipped with both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth capabilities, allowing it to receive and transmit data wirelessly.

2. What are the main features of a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter?

The main features of a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter include its small size, low cost, and wireless communication capabilities. It also has a 1GHz single-core CPU, 512MB RAM, and a microSD card slot for storage.

3. What can a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter be used for?

A Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter can be used for a variety of projects, such as creating a wireless media center, home automation system, or even a mini computer. It can also be used for educational purposes, as it is a great tool for learning about coding and electronics.

4. Is a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter suitable for beginners?

Yes, a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter is a great option for beginners due to its low cost and user-friendly interface. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help beginners get started with using and programming the device.

5. Can a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter be connected to other devices?

Yes, a Raspberry Pi Zero W receiver / transmitter can be connected to other devices via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. It can also be connected to other devices using its GPIO (General Purpose Input/Output) pins, allowing for even more versatility and project possibilities.

Back