Rate of Ammonia Prod. in N2+3H2 Reaction

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of reaction rates and how they are measured in the production of ammonia through the reaction of nitrogen and hydrogen. The rate of ammonia production is given as 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s) and the question asks for the general reaction rate and corresponding rates for nitrogen and hydrogen transformation. It is pointed out that the concept of a "general reaction rate" and "general reaction rate law" are not defined and may not be necessary in this case. The calculation to find the general reaction rate is shown, but it is unclear why it is necessary to use a different method to find the rate when it is already given. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that more information or clarification
ThatDude

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question, rather, I am just trying to clarify a concept and example in my textbook.

Ammonia is produced by the reaction of Nitrogen (N2) with hydrogen (H2) as shown in this equation.

N2 + 3 H2 --> 2 NH3

The rate of ammonia production is 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s)

What is the general reaction rate?
What are the corresponding rates for nitrogen and hydrogen transformation?

2. The attempt at a solution

Calculation:

= (1/2) ( 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s) )

= 2.5 x 10-6 mol/(L * s)

My question is: aren't they already giving us a rate when they say that "The rate of ammonia production is 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s)" ... so why is it necessary to use the general reaction rate law to figure out the "rate". Isn't the rate already given. I'm kind of confused about this.

Physics news on Phys.org
ThatDude said:

Homework Statement

This is not a homework question, rather, I am just trying to clarify a concept and example in my textbook.

Ammonia is produced by the reaction of Nitrogen (N2) with hydrogen (H2) as shown in this equation.

N2 + 3 H2 --> 2 NH3

The rate of ammonia production is 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s)

What is the general reaction rate?
What are the corresponding rates for nitrogen and hydrogen transformation?

2. The attempt at a solution

Calculation:

= (1/2) ( 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s) )

= 2.5 x 10-6 mol/(L * s)

My question is: aren't they already giving us a rate when they say that "The rate of ammonia production is 5.0 x 10-6 mol/(L * s)" ... so why is it necessary to use the general reaction rate law to figure out the "rate". Isn't the rate already given. I'm kind of confused about this.

You are not the only one. I have never heard of a "general reaction rate". It should be defined in the same book.

They give a rate of ammonia production in some unspecified circumstances in reasonable units, rate of change of molar concentration per sec. You can easily work out the second part of the question in those same units.

I am not aware either of a "general reaction rate law", at least no useful one.

1. What is the rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction?

The rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction is the speed at which ammonia is formed from the reactants nitrogen and hydrogen. It is measured in moles of ammonia produced per unit time.

2. How is the rate of ammonia production determined in the N2+3H2 reaction?

The rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction is determined by monitoring the concentration of ammonia over time using a spectrophotometer or other analytical instrument. The change in concentration of ammonia can then be used to calculate the rate of production.

3. What factors affect the rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction?

The rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction is affected by several factors, including temperature, pressure, catalysts, and the concentrations of reactants. Increasing the temperature or pressure can speed up the reaction, while the presence of a catalyst can lower the activation energy and increase the rate of production.

4. Why is the rate of ammonia production important in the N2+3H2 reaction?

The rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction is important because it determines how quickly ammonia, a key component in fertilizers and other industrial products, can be produced. Understanding and controlling the rate of production is crucial for efficient and cost-effective production processes.

5. How can the rate of ammonia production be increased in the N2+3H2 reaction?

The rate of ammonia production in the N2+3H2 reaction can be increased by adjusting the reaction conditions, such as increasing the temperature or pressure, using a catalyst, or optimizing the concentrations of reactants. However, it is important to carefully consider the potential side reactions and safety hazards when making changes to the reaction conditions.