Rate of Supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy: Scientists' Best Estimate

In summary: If one is considering multiplicative differences than it is irrelevant whether one is counting supernovae per year or years per supernova.
Erenjaeger
Which option is closest to scientists' current best estimate for the rate at which a supernova explosions occur somewhere in the milky way galaxy?
a) once a day
b) once a year
c) once every hundred years
d) once every thousand years

From what I have found online, the current estimate is one every 50 years but the question on my practice exam doesn't offer that as an option. Anyone got any links or know anything to help me.
Thanks.

Space news on Phys.org
Erenjaeger said:
the current estimate is one every 50 years but the question on my practice exam doesn't offer that as an option

It asks you which option is closest to the current best estimate. Which of the four is closest to one every 50 years?

Likes Erenjaeger and Vanadium 50
Well, if I wanted to quibble, I would say 50 years is only 49 years away from 1 year but 50 years away from 100. :wink:

The last known supernova in our galaxy was in 1868. (It was not visible because of dust, but the remnant has been found) The only one ever visible in M31 (the nearest large galaxy) was in 1885 (on the opening night of The Mikado). Given that, which answer looks the best to you?

Likes Erenjaeger
Vanadium 50 said:
Well, if I wanted to quibble, I would say 50 years is only 49 years away from 1 year but 50 years away from 100. :wink:
Estimates like this work best by thinking about multiplicative differences instead.

For example, 50 years is fifty times the amount of time as 1 year, so those two numbers are very far apart.

Fifty years is only half of 100 years, though, so those two are quite close.

To do this a little bit more rigorously, you can use order-of-magnitude rounding. With this, numbers that are greater than [itex]\sqrt{10}[/itex] (about 3.1) round up to 10, while numbers below this round down to 1. So in this case, 50 rounds up to 100.

Vanadium 50 said:
Chalnoth said:
Estimates like this work best by thinking about multiplicative differences instead.

The question is about rate per year. That's a ratio, not a number by itself. 50 is not one of the options, 1/50 is.

1/50 is a lot closer to 1/100 than is 1/1.

newjerseyrunner said:
The question is about rate per year. That's a ratio, not a number by itself. 50 is not one of the options, 1/50 is.
If one is considering multiplicative differences than it is irrelevant whether one is counting supernovae per year or years per supernova.

log(1/50) is closer to log(1/100) than it is to log(1) and for identical reasons, log(50) is closer to log(100) than to log(1).

Likes newjerseyrunner

1. What is the current estimated rate of supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy?

The current best estimate for the rate of supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy is around 1-3 per century.

2. How do scientists determine the rate of supernovae?

Scientists use a variety of methods, such as observations of past supernovae, computer simulations, and statistical models, to estimate the rate of supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy.

3. Has the rate of supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy always been the same?

No, the rate of supernovae in the Milky Way Galaxy is thought to have varied over time due to factors such as changes in the number and masses of stars in the galaxy.

4. What impact do supernovae have on the Milky Way Galaxy?

Supernovae play a crucial role in the evolution of the Milky Way Galaxy by enriching it with heavy elements, dispersing gas and dust, and triggering the formation of new stars.

5. Is there a possibility of a supernova occurring in the Milky Way Galaxy in the near future?

While it is impossible to predict exactly when a supernova will occur, scientists believe that there is a low probability of a supernova happening in the Milky Way Galaxy in the next few centuries.