Rate of Water Rise in Cone-Shaped Vessel

In summary, the vessel in the shape of a cone has a radius that is half its height. As water flows into the vessel at a rate of 1m^3 per minute, the height of the water in the vessel increases over time. The volume of water can be expressed as a function of the height, and by implicitly differentiating with respect to time and using the known rate of change of volume, the rate at which the height of the water is rising can be determined. The height of the water when the vessel is 1/8 full is 1/2 the height of the vessel.
markosheehan
a vessel in the shape of a cone is standing on its apex. water flows in at a steady rate, of 1m^3 per minute. the vessel has a height of 2m and a diameter of 2m when the vessel is 1/8 full find the rate at which water is rising

v=1/3 pi r^2 h however i can't differentiate this

Physics news on Phys.org
At any point in time, how are the radius and height of the "cone of water" within the conical vessel related?

I don't know but I know they both get bigger with time.

markosheehan said:
I don't know but I know they both get bigger with time.

The vessel into which the water is flowing has a radius that is one half the height. Any "cone of water" partially or completely filling the vessel will be similar in shape to the vessel itself...so we may state (for the conical volume of water):

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{1}{2}h\)

And now, you can express the volume of water as a function of $h$ alone...and then implicitly differentiate with respect to time $t$ and given that you know \(\displaystyle \d{V}{t}\), you may solve for \(\displaystyle \d{h}{t}\)

You will also need to know the height of the volume of water when the vessel is 1/8 full. By similarity, we see this is when the height of the water is 1/2 that of the vessel. ;)

1. What is the rate of water rise in a cone-shaped vessel?

The rate of water rise in a cone-shaped vessel depends on several factors such as the volume of water, the dimensions of the vessel, and the angle of the cone. It can be calculated by using the formula for volume of a cone and taking the derivative with respect to time.

2. How does the angle of the cone affect the rate of water rise?

The angle of the cone has a significant impact on the rate of water rise. A steeper angle will result in a faster rate of water rise, while a shallower angle will result in a slower rate of water rise. This is because a steeper cone has a smaller surface area, allowing the water to rise quicker.

3. Does the shape of the cone affect the rate of water rise?

Yes, the shape of the cone does affect the rate of water rise. A perfectly symmetrical cone will have a consistent rate of water rise, while a cone with uneven or irregular dimensions may have variations in the rate of water rise.

4. How does the volume of water impact the rate of water rise in a cone-shaped vessel?

The volume of water is a crucial factor in determining the rate of water rise in a cone-shaped vessel. The larger the volume of water, the slower the rate of water rise will be due to increased surface tension and friction between the water molecules and the surface of the vessel.

5. Can the rate of water rise in a cone-shaped vessel be affected by external factors?

Yes, external factors such as air pressure, temperature, and altitude can impact the rate of water rise in a cone-shaped vessel. These factors can affect the surface tension and density of the water, resulting in a change in the rate of water rise.