Ratio between molecules having different speeds

In summary: In summary”.In summary, the author has found an equation where one can calculate the ratio of the number of molecules escaping Earth at a given temperature and those moving at the root mean square speed. They are not able to solve for the number escaping Earth at this temperature using the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution or using the approximation that calculates the number with velocity greater than the escape speed.
DavideGenoa
Hi, friends!

1. Homework Statement :

I have found an exercise where one should calculate the ratio ##N_{v_{\text{e}}}/N_{v_{\text{rms}}}## between the number of molecules having escape speed ##v_{\text{e}}=\sqrt{(2G M_t)/r}## (where ##M## is the mass of Earth) and those moving at the root mean square speed ##v_{\text{rms}}=\sqrt{(3RT)/M}## (where ##M## is the molar mass) in the nitrogen found at a height of ##150 \text{ km}## and a temperature of ##1000\text{ K}##.

Homework Equations

I know the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution of molecular speeds
##f(v)=4\pi\bigg(\frac{M}{2\pi RT }\bigg)^{\frac{3}{2}}e^{-\frac{M}{2RT}v^2}##​
which means that, if we call ##N## the total number of molecules and ##\Delta n## is the number of molecules having the speed in the interval ##\Delta v##,
##dn=N f(v)dv.##​

The Attempt at a Solution

The values of ##v_{\text{f}}\approx1.1\cdot 10^4\text{ m/s}## and ##v_{\text{qm}}\approx 940\text{ m/s}## are immediately computed, but I have no idea how to find ##N_{v_{\text{e}}}/N_{v_{\text{rms}}}##. I do not know if I can use the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution nor how to use it, since, with such a continuous distribution, the probability that a molecule has a definite velocity, rather than being in an interval, is zero. I am not able to use, if it is useful in this case, the approximation ##\Delta n\approx N f(v)\Delta v##, either.

I ##\infty##-ly thank you all!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should read the question again and be sure you are stating it correctly. The number moving at ##exactly## ##v_{rms}## is zero. So the ratio you have stated does not make sense.

For example: You could calculate the number with velocity greater than ##v_e## and divide that by the total number. That is, you could get the fraction of the total that is moving fast enough to escape the Earth. That gives you an estimate of the fraction that will escape at this temperature. To get the number with velocity over ##v_e## you integrate ##f(v)## from ##v_e## to infinity.

Or you could compute the ratio of ##f(v)## at ##v_e## to ##f(v)## at ##v_{rms}##. That is, you could compute the ratio of the probability function at the two speeds. Not quite sure how useful such a thing is. But it depends on what the problem statement is actually asking for.

Likes DavideGenoa
The question is as I have written. There might be a printing error, nevertheless.
I had thought that
##\lim_{h\to 0}\frac{n(v_{\text{e}}+h)-n(v_{\text{e}})}{n(v_{\text{rms}+h})-n(v_{\text{rms}})} =\frac{\frac{dn(v_{\text{e}})}{dv}}{\frac{dn(v_{\text{rms}})}{dv}}=\frac{f(v_{\text{e}})}{f(v_{\text{rms}})}=e^{\frac{M}{2RT}(v_{\text{e}}^2-v_{\text{rms}}^2)}##​
But, taking the values given in the appendix of my text into account, I compute
##e^{\frac{M}{2RT}(v_{\text{e}}^2-v_{\text{rms}}^2)}=\exp\big({\frac{2\cdot14.0067\cdot10^{-3}}{2\cdot8.31\cdot1000}\big(\frac{6.670\cdot10^{-11}\cdot5.97\cdot10^{24}}{6.37\cdot 10^6+150000}-\frac{3\cdot8.31\cdot 1000}{2\cdot14.0067\cdot10^{-3}}\big) }\big)\approx 6.67\cdot 10^{88}##​
where ##14.0067\text{ g}## is the molar mass of ##\text{ N}_2##, ##5.97\cdot10^{24}\text{ kg}## is the mass of Earth and ##6.37\cdot 10^6\text{ m}## its radius, but the book's result is ##1\cdot10^{-87}##...
There might well be a printing, or translation (my book is the Italian translation), error...

What is the ratio between molecules having different speeds?

The ratio between molecules with different speeds is determined by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution, which describes the distribution of molecular speeds in a gas at a given temperature.

How does temperature affect the ratio between molecules with different speeds?

As temperature increases, the average speed of molecules also increases, resulting in a broader range of speeds and a higher ratio of faster-moving molecules compared to slower-moving ones.

What is the significance of the ratio between molecules with different speeds?

The ratio between molecules with different speeds is important in understanding the behavior and properties of gases, such as diffusion and pressure. It also plays a role in chemical reactions, as faster-moving molecules are more likely to collide and react with one another.

Can the ratio between molecules with different speeds be altered?

The ratio between molecules with different speeds can be altered by changing the temperature, pressure, or composition of the gas. For example, increasing the pressure will result in a higher ratio of slower-moving molecules.

How is the ratio between molecules with different speeds measured?

The ratio between molecules with different speeds can be measured using techniques such as gas chromatography or spectrometry, which can separate and analyze molecules based on their speed or mass.