Ratio for the dimples in a golf ball

In summary, the speaker is conducting an experiment to determine the effectiveness of dimples in a golf ball while in flight. They are having trouble finding a numerical ratio to represent the dimple pattern and are considering using the average diameter of the dimples to the number of dimples on the ball. However, this does not take into account the positions of the larger and smaller dimples. They suggest looking into using the standard deviation, a measure of variance, to account for this. They also mention that there are likely an infinite number of possible patterns and suggest searching for information about golf ball geometry and science.
UndyingCactus
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.
I'm conducting an experiment in order to find the effectiveness of dimples in a golf ball when flying through the air. As part of the experiment, I'm planning on testing the different dimple patterns of various golf balls. However, I'm having trouble coming up with a numerical ratio that can represent the dimple pattern of a golf ball.

The only thing I've come up with so far is the average diameter of the dimples (balls normally have a few different sized dimples) to the number of dimples on the ball (I can't use the volume or depth of the dimples as I don't have any instruments that can measure such small values). The problem is that this does not take into account, the positions of the larger and smaller dimples around each other. Is it possible to create a value that takes this into account? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is probably an infinite number of possible patterns so I can't think of a way to describe that using a single number.

Perhaps look up standard deviation? This is a measure of how much variance there is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

You could work out how many of each size of dimple there are and calculate the standard deviation.

A high number would indicate a wider range of sizes. A low number would correspond to a ball with dimples of mostly one size or a narrower spread in the sizes.

It's possible for two data sets to have the same average but a different standard deviation.

' Golf Ball Geometry ' and ' Golf Ball Science ' in Google

What is the purpose of dimples on a golf ball?

The dimples on a golf ball create a turbulent boundary layer of air around the ball as it travels through the air. This reduces the drag force acting on the ball, allowing it to travel further and with more accuracy.

How do the dimples on a golf ball affect the ball's flight?

The dimples on a golf ball create lift, which helps the ball stay in the air for a longer period of time. They also decrease the drag force, allowing the ball to travel further and with more stability.

What is the optimal ratio for dimples on a golf ball?

The optimal ratio for dimples on a golf ball is a subject of ongoing research and debate among scientists and golf ball manufacturers. Generally, a ratio of dimple surface area to total surface area between 0.3 and 0.5 is considered optimal.

What factors affect the ideal dimple ratio for a golf ball?

The ideal dimple ratio for a golf ball can be affected by various factors such as the speed of the ball, the materials used to make the ball, and environmental conditions such as air density and temperature. These factors can impact the aerodynamics of the ball and thus influence the optimal dimple ratio.

Can the dimple ratio on a golf ball be customized for different players?

Yes, some golf ball manufacturers offer customizable options for dimple patterns and ratios to suit different player preferences and playing styles. This allows players to tailor their golf ball to their specific needs and improve their game.