Ratio of the Area of Similar Polygons

In summary, the perimeter of the smaller polygon is 39 cm and the ratio of their areas is 9:49. This is based on the fact that the linear measures of similar polygons have a constant ratio, and the area of a shape varies as the square of its linear measures.
Hobbes1
Two corresponding sides of two similar polygons have lengths 3 and 7. the perimeter of the larger polygon is 91 cm. What is the perimeter of the smaller polygon? What is the ratio of their areas?

I believe I have found the perimeter of the smaller polygon (39), but I can't figure out the areas.

Thanks.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I will use the subscript $S$ for the smaller polygon, and $L$ for the larger...

For similar planar shapes, the ratio of any corresponding linear measures will be the same. And so the perimeter $P_S$ of the smaller polygon will be:

\(\displaystyle P_S=\frac{3}{7}P_L=\frac{3}{7}\cdot91=\frac{3\cdot7\cdot13}{7}=3\cdot13=39\)

So, you did find the correct value there. (Yes)

Because the area of a planar shape varies as the square of any of its linear measures, then we will find:

\(\displaystyle \frac{A_S}{A_L}=\left(\frac{3}{7}\right)^2=\frac{9}{49}\)

What is the definition of the ratio of the area of similar polygons?

The ratio of the area of similar polygons is a mathematical concept that compares the size of the areas of two polygons that are similar in shape. It is calculated by dividing the area of one polygon by the area of the other polygon.

How is the ratio of the area of similar polygons related to their corresponding sides?

The ratio of the area of similar polygons is equal to the square of the ratio of their corresponding sides. This means that if the ratio of the sides of two similar polygons is 2:3, then the ratio of their areas will be 4:9.

Can the ratio of the area of similar polygons be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of the area of similar polygons can be greater than 1. This happens when the second polygon is larger than the first polygon.

How is the ratio of the area of similar polygons used in real life?

The ratio of the area of similar polygons is commonly used in construction and engineering to scale blueprints and designs. It is also used in mapmaking to accurately represent the size of different regions.

How can you prove that two polygons are similar using their area ratios?

If the ratio of the area of two polygons is equal to the square of the ratio of their corresponding sides, then the two polygons are similar. This can be proven using the properties of similar triangles and the fact that the ratio of their sides is equal.