Ratio of the area of triangle in terms of another triangle

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the ratio of the area of $\triangle PST$ in terms of $\triangle PQR$. It is mentioned that $QT=TR$, $PS=1 cm$, and $SQ=2 cm$. The formula for the area of a triangle is used to derive the relationship between the areas of $\triangle PST$ and $\triangle PQT$. It is concluded that $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PST) = \frac{1}{3}\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PQT)$, which can be deduced from the fact that the two triangles share the same altitude from vertex $T$.
mathlearn
:D I have trouble in determining the ratio of the area of $\triangle PST$ in terms of $\triangle PQR$

In the triangle PQR $QT=TR$, $PS=1 cm$ , $SQ=2 cm$ , How should I be writing the area of $\triangle PST$ in terms of $\triangle PQR $

View attachment 6031

What is known by me :

Since $|\overline{QT}|=|\overline{TR}|$ it follows that $\triangle PQT$ and $\triangle PTR$ have equal areas, so $$[PQT]=\frac12[PQR]$$

Has It got to do something with,

If two polygons are similar, the ratio of their areas is equal to the square of the ratio of their corresponding sides.

So what must be done from here? :confused:

Attachments

• New Document 51.jpg
    New Document 51.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi mathlearn,

A key idea is that $\triangle PST$ and $\triangle PQT$ share the same altitude from vertex $T$. Using this fact, deduce that $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PST) = \frac{1}{3}\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PQT)$.

Euge said:
Hi mathlearn,

A key idea is that $\triangle PST$ and $\triangle PQT$ share the same altitude from vertex $T$. Using this fact, deduce that $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PST) = \frac{1}{3}\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PQT)$.

Hi Euge ;) ,

What I still don't understand is that ,

How did $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PST) = \frac{1}{3}\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PQT)$ get derived?

From $|\overline{PS}|=\frac12|\overline{SQ}|$ it follows that the area of $\triangle PST$ is a half of the area of $\triangle PQT$ , From there I don't get it that much :confused:

I would use this formula for the area $A$ of a triangle:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin(C)\)

To derive the relationship Euge mentioned. :)

MarkFL said:
I would use this formula for the area $A$ of a triangle:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}ab\sin(C)\)

To derive the relationship Euge mentioned. :)

:) Thanks but the issue is I don't know the use of this formula

Draw a line from $S$ to $\overline{PT}$ parallel to $\overline{QT}$ and use similarity...:D

mathlearn said:
Hi Euge ;) ,

What I still don't understand is that ,

How did $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PST) = \frac{1}{3}\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PQT)$ get derived?

From $|\overline{PS}|=\frac12|\overline{SQ}|$ it follows that the area of $\triangle PST$ is a half of the area of $\triangle PQT$ , From there I don't get it that much :confused:

Hey mathlearn,

I suggested that you deduce this from the fact that $\triangle PST$ and $\triangle PQT$ share the same altitude from vertex $T$. Suppose their common altitude is $h$. Since the area of a triangle is $\dfrac{1}{2}\times (\text{base})\times (\text{height})$, then $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PQT) = \dfrac{1}{2}(3)(h)$ and $\operatorname{Area}(\triangle PST) = \dfrac{1}{2}(1)(h)$. From here you can see how the result is derived.

What is the formula for finding the ratio of the area of one triangle to another?

The formula for finding the ratio of the area of one triangle to another is:
Area of Triangle A / Area of Triangle B = (Base of Triangle A * Height of Triangle A) / (Base of Triangle B * Height of Triangle B)

Why is it useful to know the ratio of the area of one triangle to another?

Knowing the ratio of the area of one triangle to another can be useful in many applications, such as geometry, engineering, and architecture. It allows you to compare the sizes of two triangles and make calculations based on their relative areas.

Can the ratio of the area of one triangle to another be greater than 1?

Yes, the ratio of the area of one triangle to another can be greater than 1. This means that the area of the first triangle is larger than the area of the second triangle.

How does changing the base or height of one triangle affect the ratio of its area to another triangle?

Changing the base or height of one triangle will result in a different ratio of its area to another triangle. This is because the area of a triangle is directly proportional to its base and height, so any changes to these dimensions will affect the overall ratio.

Can the ratio of the area of one triangle to another be negative?

No, the ratio of the area of one triangle to another cannot be negative. The areas of triangles are always positive values, so the ratio will also be a positive value.