Ratio of total refelected intensity compared to incident intensity

In summary: It would be instructive to add the infinite series for the reflected and the transmitted part, add the two and see if the sum is 1.
Taylor_1989
Homework Statement
A plane electromagnetic wave is traveling in a vacuum in the positive Z direction and is normally incident on a planar glass of refractive index 1.50 and finite thickness. For normal incidence at a dielectric interface, the reflection and transmission coefficients of intensity are:

##R=\frac{(n_2-n_1)^2}{(n_2+n_1)^2}##

##T=\frac{(4n_1n_2)^2}{(n_2+n_1)^2}##

When the wave enters the glass plate it reflects from both the front and back surfaces of the interface. Considering these two contributions only, show that the total reflected intensity is approximately 7.7% of the incident intensity.
Relevant Equations
Contained within the question
Diagram

Calculations as follows
$$\frac{I_{total \: Reflection}}{I_{Incident}}=\frac{I_{R_1}+I_{R_2}}{I_0}*100=\frac{R*I_0+(R*T)*I_0}{I_0}$$

Subbing in the relevant equations given in the question

$$\frac{I_{total \: Reflection}}{I_{Incident}}=\frac{(n_2-n_1)^2}{(n_2+n_1)^2}(1+\frac{(4n_1n_2)^2}{(n_2+n_1)^2})*100$$

Now by subbing in the numerical values into my above eqaution I get a percentage of ##7.84 \%## and the question states that it should be ##\approx 7.7%## thus I am not sure my working are correct but can't really understand why as there no other reflection that I can account for, I did think maybe it ment a reflection off the first mirror again but adding that into the above calculations I get ##8\%## which it larger than my original. Have I missed something in my calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Take a look at your expression for T. R+T=1 always

The transmission coefficient should be ##T=\dfrac{4n_1n_2}{(n_2+n_1)^2}##. There is no square term in the numerator, but that's not a problem here. With the correct ##T## I also got 7.8% which is approximately 7.7% of the incident intensity as the problem suggests. I see no problem with your answer other than fixing the typo.

kuruman said:
I see no problem with your answer other than fixing the typo.
This is not a complete and correct answer. The 2nd Reflection light is scattered at the original interface giving rise transmitted and 3rd reflection light and so on ad infinitum.
The good news is that the infinite sum you generate from this is easy to recognize and that leads to the easy solution

hutchphd said:
This is not a complete and correct answer. The 2nd Reflection light is scattered at the original interface giving rise transmitted and 3rd reflection light and so on ad infinitum.
The good news is that the infinite sum you generate from this is easy to recognize and that leads to the easy solution
Sure, you get a geometric series to add. However, the statement of the problem as posted says
Taylor_1989 said:
Considering these two contributions only, show that the total reflected intensity is approximately 7.7% of the incident intensity.

oops sorry. The full problem is much more fun!

hutchphd said:
oops sorry. The full problem is much more fun!
Yes.

Correction on Edit
In the reflected region,
1. the first reflection has intensity ##R##
2. the transmitted ray has intensity ##T##, upon reflection off the back surface it has intensity ##RT## and upon transmission through the front surface, it has intensity ##RT^2##.
I retract my confirmation in post #3.I made a mistake and my recalculated answer is not 7.84% with these considerations. I think that "approximately" in the statement of the problem does not mean "close to 7.7%" but "close to the answer that one gets when one considers all reflections off the back interface and not just one."

Last edited:
kuruman said:
Yes.

Correction on Edit
In the reflected region,
1. the first reflection has intensity ##R##
2. the transmitted ray has intensity ##T##, upon reflection off the back surface it has intensity ##RT## and upon transmission through the front surface, it has intensity ##RT^2##.
I retract my confirmation in post #3.I made a mistake and my recalculated answer is not 7.84% with these considerations. I think that "approximately" in the statement of the problem does not mean "close to 7.7%" but "close to the answer that one gets when one considers all reflections off the back interface and not just one."

Sorry but I am having a issue understanding, for your recalculation for total refection did you have the sum

$$R+RT+RT^2$$

Or did you form a geometric series which was mentioned in post #4.

Taylor_1989 said:
Sorry but I am having a issue understanding, for your recalculation for total refection did you have the sum

$$R+RT+RT^2$$

Or did you form a geometric series which was mentioned in post #4.
I had the sum ##R+RT^2##. My initial attempt did not correctly take into account the transmission through the front surface of the secondary reflections. Note that the secondary reflections must all have the same ##T^2## factor because they are all transmitted through the front boundary twice; they differ in the number of internal reflections which increases by two from one to the next starting with the first secondary reflection. Can you figure out the series?

On edit
It would be instructive to add the infinite series for the reflected and the transmitted part, add the two and see if the sum is 1. I did it and it is.

Last edited:
Likes Taylor_1989

What is the ratio of total reflected intensity compared to incident intensity?

The ratio of total reflected intensity compared to incident intensity, also known as the reflectance, is a measure of how much light is reflected off a surface compared to how much light is incident upon it. It is expressed as a decimal or percentage.

How is the ratio of total reflected intensity calculated?

The ratio of total reflected intensity is calculated by dividing the total amount of light reflected off a surface by the total amount of light incident upon it. This can be expressed as a decimal or percentage.

What factors can affect the ratio of total reflected intensity?

The ratio of total reflected intensity can be affected by various factors, such as the angle of incidence, the surface material, and the surface texture. Different materials and textures can reflect light differently, resulting in different reflectance values.

Why is the ratio of total reflected intensity important in scientific research?

The ratio of total reflected intensity is important in scientific research because it can provide valuable information about the properties of a surface, such as its optical properties and material composition. It can also be used to measure the efficiency of reflective coatings and materials.

How is the ratio of total reflected intensity used in real-world applications?

The ratio of total reflected intensity is used in various real-world applications, such as in the development of reflective materials for solar panels, in the design of optical devices, and in the analysis of remote sensing data. It is also used in industries such as automotive and aerospace to improve the visibility and safety of reflective surfaces.