Ratio problem: The ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in a mixture is 3 to 7

In summary, the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in a mixture is 3 to 7. If the amount of Liquid Y in the mixture is 161, then the amount of Liquid X in the mixture is equal to 3/7 of 161, or 69.
JohnDoe01
The ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in a mixture is 3 to 7. If the amount of Liquid Y in a mixture is 161, then the amount of Liquid x in the mixture is equal to?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Let $m$ be the total amount in the mixture. Then,

$$Y=\frac{7m}{10}=161$$

From that, can you find the amount for $X$, i.e. $\frac{3}{10}$ of the mixture?

Personally I wouldn't worry about the total amount at all. You are told that "ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in a mixture is 3 to 7" so \(\displaystyle \frac{X}{Y}= \frac{3}{7}\). You are told that "the amount of Liquid Y in a mixture is 161" so \(\displaystyle \frac{X}{161}= \frac{3}{7}\). \(\displaystyle X= \frac{3}{7}(161)\).

1. What is the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture?

The ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture is 3 to 7.

2. How can I calculate the amount of Liquid X and Liquid Y in the mixture?

To calculate the amount of Liquid X and Liquid Y in the mixture, you can use the ratio as a guide. For every 3 units of Liquid X, there are 7 units of Liquid Y. So if you have a total of 10 units in the mixture, 3 units will be Liquid X and 7 units will be Liquid Y.

3. Can I change the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture?

Yes, you can change the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture by adding or removing amounts of each liquid. However, the total amount of liquid in the mixture will also change.

4. What is the significance of knowing the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture?

Knowing the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture is important for accurately measuring and mixing the liquids. It can also help in determining the properties of the mixture, such as density or concentration.

5. Can the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y in the mixture be simplified?

Yes, the ratio of Liquid X to Liquid Y can be simplified to its lowest terms. In this case, the simplified ratio would be 3:7.