Rational approach for specifying a Microscope

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a functional parametric chart to choose a suitable microscope for a modern academic micro-biological and research lab. The conversation also highlights the importance of technical specifications, designs, and features to consider when making a decision. The conversation mentions some popular microscope brands and the role of price, local dealers, and institutional accounts in the decision-making process. There is also a mention of Chinese clone microscopes and the potential risks of purchasing from off-brands. Overall, the conversation emphasizes the need for guidance and support when making a decision on purchasing a microscope.
NSK8700
Has anyone worked out a functional Parametric chart that enables one to choose a appropriate Microscope (exclude Scanning electron MicroScopes(MS)) amongst the multitude of choices for a modern academic micro-biological & research lab, hence formulated a general guideline? The MS should feature a Camera and computer interface as a requirement.Please highlight some IMPORTANT Technical Spec's,constructs and feature options to be considered for a judicious choice.

Biology news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys: Thanks !
I suppose the list you have provided is from "premium" brands/vendors, who have established branding and sophistication of manufacturing style and systems.Any ideas on what contributes to pricing differentials if the technology/ design has not changed radically to provide for some significant scientific benefits. How about cost efficient manufacturers like : www.alltion-microscope.com[/url] oR [url]http://www.meijitechno.com/[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
You gave us no clues about what you want to use the microscope forbrightfield, fluorescence, stereo, live cells, immunostaining, tissue slices, needed magnifications (or frame rates for dynamic imaging)...

There's a lot of things a good microscope can do. In all honesty, at the high end, it's less about the specific instrument and more about the sales/support person who will help you when you get stuck.

If you have absolutely no idea, I recommend at least browsing through 'MicroscopyU' to see all the different techiques available.

Andy R Thanks, actually I was looking for some clue to get started. Actually the requirement is a Phase contrast Microscope with a stipulated budget (say around US$2000.- (+/-)6% permissible allowance [@ 1US$=47,50 and inclusive of applicable Customs]. I am presently getting to know principles and pertinent aspects - Anyone who has got some deep experience to sharing any thing (however trivial) in a relevant context (accessories, features & functionality differences between vendors,etc) will be appreciated gratefully.

You will have a hard time finding a phase contrast microscope for $2k. Is this for cell/tissue culture (i.e. live cell imaging)? The Nikon TMS is decent, and Lecia and Zeiss make comparable models.

Andy, are there chinese clone microscopes out yet?
In theodolites you can buy exact copies of Nikon, Leica etc from China-optical for 1/2-1/4 the price.

Not even clones - they are made on the same production line that Nikon outsourced to, they even advertise on facing pages in the surveying magazines.

I don't know much about the chinese clones, but I'm sure they exist. The Russian (LOMO) and Polish (PZO) microscope optics are reasonable. My experience with off-brands is not good. Yes, they are cheaper and generally sort-of work ok, but I have a lot of experience building and modifying microscopes so I can deal with (for example) poor sample stages and flake-y light sources.

Since the OP sounds very inexperienced, I wouldn't recommend dealing with a company that does not provide some support service.

Edit: also, a lot of the (American) low-quality microscopes still use DIN standard objectives, which should really be avoided unless there is a good reason not to (i.e. legacy equipment)

1. What is a rational approach for specifying a microscope?

A rational approach for specifying a microscope involves carefully considering the intended use of the microscope and the specific features and specifications needed to meet those requirements. This may include factors such as magnification, resolution, illumination, and compatibility with other equipment.

2. How do I determine the appropriate magnification for my microscope?

The appropriate magnification for a microscope depends on the size and characteristics of the specimen being observed. Generally, a lower magnification is suitable for larger specimens, while a higher magnification is needed for smaller or more detailed specimens.

3. What is the significance of resolution in microscope specification?

Resolution refers to the ability of a microscope to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. It is an important factor in microscope specification as it determines the level of detail that can be observed.

4. How important is illumination in microscope specification?

Illumination is a crucial factor in microscope specification as it directly affects the quality and clarity of the image. The type of illumination (e.g. brightfield, darkfield, phase contrast) should be chosen based on the specific requirements of the observation.

5. Can I use any microscope with any type of specimen?

No, it is important to consider the compatibility of the microscope with the type of specimen being observed. For example, a polarizing microscope is needed for viewing polarized specimens, while a fluorescence microscope is needed for fluorescent specimens.

Back