How Do You Formulate and Solve Rational Inequalities?

In summary, the conversation discusses solving polynomial inequalities by working backwards and constructing the polynomial given the solution. It is suggested to start by describing the steps to solve the inequality and then applying them in reverse. For rational expressions, it is important to note that the sign of f(x) and 1/f(x) are the same, so the denominator can be omitted in most cases.
MartynaJ
Homework Statement
Determine a possible rational inequality in factored form with the solution ##x<-4## or ##-1\leq x\leq 3## or ##x>6##
Relevant Equations
see below please
WhatsApp Image 2020-10-05 at 2.50.29 PM.jpeg

My attempt so far:
I put all the terms to become smaller than zero:
so ##x<-4## becomes ##x-4<0##
##-1\leq x\leq 3## becomes ##-1-x\leq 0## and ##x-3 \leq 0##
##x>6## becomes ##x-6>0## which is the same as ##-x+6<0## (i think)...

I am now stuck on making it a rational inequality... anyone know how?

Please help!
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have a polynomial inequality, like ##x^2-4 < 0##, do you know how to solve it? I think the idea here is to do this process in reverse, and construct the polynomial given the solution.

Also x < -4 becomes x+4 < 0.

Likes Delta2
Office_Shredder said:
If you have a polynomial inequality, like ##x^2-4 < 0##, do you know how to solve it? I think the idea here is to do this process in reverse, and construct the polynomial given the solution.

Also x < -4 becomes x+4 < 0.
Ya x < -4 becomes x+4 < 0 (that was a typo)... and yes the idea in this question is to do it in reverse (i.e. try to find the polynomial)... I am just unsure of how to do that exactly.

Why don't you start by describing the steps you would do to solve it the other way, then we can figure out how to work backwards.

Office_Shredder said:
Why don't you start by describing the steps you would do to solve it the other way, then we can figure out how to work backwards.
For a polynomial inequality, I would just need to multiply them together. I'm not sure how to find make a rational expression. Like how do I know what to put in the numerator and what to put in thre denominator?

Multiply what together? Can you solve the expression ##x^2-4 < 0##? I promise you if you just write out how to solve it, it will be easy to show how to do the steps in reverse.

As far as the rational expression, note the sign of f(x) and 1/f(x) are the same, so you can mostly just use a ppolynomial and not worry about putting anything in the denominator.

MartynaJ said:
For a polynomial inequality, I would just need to multiply them together. I'm not sure how to find make a rational expression. Like how do I know what to put in the numerator and what to put in thre denominator?
If a factor such as ##x-3## is in the denominator, then can ##x## be equal to three? Why not?

1. What are rational inequalities?

Rational inequalities are inequalities that involve rational expressions, which are expressions that contain fractions with variables in the numerator and/or denominator. These types of inequalities can be solved using similar methods as regular inequalities, but with additional steps to account for the fractions.

2. How do I solve rational inequalities?

To solve rational inequalities, you first need to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you need to find the critical values by setting the denominator equal to zero and solving for the variable. Next, you will create a number line and plot the critical values, along with any other important values. Finally, you will test each interval on the number line to determine which intervals satisfy the inequality and which do not.

3. Can you provide an example of solving a rational inequality?

Sure! Let's say we have the inequality (x+2)/(x-3) > 0. To solve this, we first isolate the variable by multiplying both sides by (x-3), giving us x+2 > 0. Next, we find the critical value by setting the denominator equal to zero, which in this case is x=3. We plot this on a number line and test intervals to find that the solution is x < -2 or x > 3.

4. Are there any special cases when solving rational inequalities?

Yes, there are two special cases to keep in mind when solving rational inequalities. The first is when the inequality has a "not equal to" sign, in which case the critical values will be included in the solution. The second is when the inequality has a "less than or equal to" or "greater than or equal to" sign, in which case the critical values will be included in the solution if they make the expression undefined.

5. What are some tips for solving rational inequalities?

Some tips for solving rational inequalities include factoring the expressions to simplify them, checking for extraneous solutions, and being careful with signs when multiplying or dividing by negative numbers. It is also important to remember to always check the solution by plugging it back into the original inequality to ensure it is valid.