Ratios and proportion: Scaling

In summary, the conversation discusses a new topic in math involving ratios and proportions with scaling. The speaker asks for help in expressing scales in ratio, specifically 1/2" = 1" and 1/8" = 1'0". The conversation also touches on a job and drawing scale, where the speaker is asked to compute the length of a line for a drawing using a given scale. The expert summarizer provides a summary of the techniques for expressing scales in ratio and solving the given problem.
Eabzolid
Hi guys.

We're on a new topic in math now which has to do with ratios and proportions but with scaling.

A few questions I have are

How can I express the following scales in ratio?

1/2" = 1"
1/8" = 1'0"

Also we're doing a Job and Drawing scale

A dimension on a job is 24 in. Using scale of 3" = 1'0", compute the length of the same line for a drawing. How would that one look?

Thank you

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Eabzolid said:
Hi guys.

We're on a new topic in math now which has to do with ratios and proportions but with scaling.

A few questions I have are

How can I express the following scales in ratio?

1/2" = 1"

Since both measures are given in the same units, we can write:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{2}:1\)

Multiply through by 2:

\(\displaystyle 1:2\)

Eabzolid said:
1/8" = 1'0"

First, convert both to the same units of measure...let's use inches:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{8}:12\)

Multiply through by 8:

\(\displaystyle 1:96\)

Eabzolid said:
Also we're doing a Job and Drawing scale

A dimension on a job is 24 in. Using scale of 3" = 1'0", compute the length of the same line for a drawing. How would that one look?

Thank you

So, using the technique I outlined above, what ratio would you use for the given scale?

Would it look like this 3/1 : 24?

I really don't have an idea about this.

Eabzolid said:
Would it look like this 3/1 : 24?

I really don't have an idea about this.

Since 1' 0'' = 12'' we could express the scale as the ratio:

\(\displaystyle 3:12\)

And then dividing through by 3 we get:

\(\displaystyle 1:4\)

This means a length of $x$ on the drawing represents a length of $4x$ on the job. So if:

\(\displaystyle 4x=24\)

Then what is $x$ in inches?

What is the difference between a ratio and a proportion?

A ratio is a comparison of two quantities, while a proportion is an equation that states that two ratios are equal. A proportion can be thought of as setting up two equivalent ratios.

How do I know if two quantities are in proportion?

To determine if two quantities are in proportion, you can cross-multiply and see if the two products are equal. If they are, then the quantities are in proportion.

What is scaling in terms of ratios and proportions?

Scaling is the process of changing the size or amount of one or more quantities while maintaining the same proportional relationship between them. This can be done by multiplying or dividing both quantities by the same number.

How do I solve a proportion?

To solve a proportion, you can use the cross-multiplication method. Multiply the numerator of one ratio by the denominator of the other ratio, and set the two products equal to each other. Then, solve for the unknown quantity.

Why are ratios and proportions important in science?

Ratios and proportions are important in science because they allow us to compare and analyze different quantities and relationships. They are used in a variety of fields, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, to make predictions and solve problems.