Scaling : ratio and proportion

In summary, to determine the length of a rafter on a blueprint with a scale of 1/8" = 3', first convert both measures to the same units (inches). Then, use the scale to find the equivalent measurement in inches, which in this case is 288 times the measurement on the blueprint. For example, 1 3/8" would be converted to an improper fraction of 11/8 and then multiplied by 288 to get 396 inches, which can then be converted to feet. Alternatively, you could also use the reasoning that if 1/8" represents 3', then 11 times 1/8" must represent 33', or 396 inches.
Eabzolid
Hey guys.
Last question I have is

A scale on a drawing is 1/8" = 3'. Determine the length of a rafter if it measures 1 3/8" on the blueprint.

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, convert both measures to the same units...let's use inches to get a scale of:

\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{8}:36\)

Multiply through by 8:

\(\displaystyle 1:288\)

This means a length of one unit on the blueprint represents 288 of the same unit in the actual building. Can you proceed? Can you find a shortcut rather than use the more general procedure I gave?

How did you get those numbers? 36? And 288?

Eabzolid said:
How did you get those numbers? 36? And 288?

3 ft. is 36 in., and then when multiplying by 8 we get 288. :D

Okay. I get the first part.

How do I break down the 1 3/8"? And then solve for both values?

Eabzolid said:
Okay. I get the first part.

How do I break down the 1 3/8"? And then solve for both values?

I would express it as an improper fraction...that is:

\(\displaystyle \frac{11}{8}\)

Then multiply by 288. Or, you can use the following reasoning:

If 1/8" represents 3' then what must 11/8" represent?

I put 11/8= 1.375
1.375x288=396

Do I then convert 396 to inches?

Eabzolid said:
I put 11/8= 1.375
1.375x288=396

Do I then convert 396 to inches?

That number represents inches...you should convert to feet.

What I was trying to get at before is that if 1/8" equals 3', then 11 times 1/8" must represent 11 times 3' or 33' (which is 396 inches). :D

What is scaling?

Scaling is the process of changing the size of an object or system while maintaining its proportions and relationships. It involves multiplying or dividing all dimensions of an object by a certain factor.

What is the difference between ratio and proportion?

A ratio compares two quantities, while a proportion compares two ratios. In other words, a proportion is an equation that shows that two ratios are equal.

How is scaling used in science?

Scaling is used in science to study the relationships and behaviors of systems at different sizes. It allows scientists to understand how changes in size affect the properties and functions of objects or organisms.

What are some examples of scaling in everyday life?

Some common examples of scaling in everyday life include resizing images or photos, using maps or blueprints to represent larger areas, and converting measurements between units.

What is the importance of maintaining proportion when scaling?

Maintaining proportion is important when scaling because it ensures that the relationships and properties of the object or system remain accurate. Without proportion, the behavior and functions of the object or system may be altered, leading to inaccurate results or conclusions.