Raw genetic data: Plink and TPED file

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Data File
In summary, the conversation discussed the analysis of a boy's dog breed and the availability of raw data in a .TPED file that can be opened in Excel and analyzed using PLINK software. The speaker also mentioned the idea of creating a karyotype to visualize the data and suggested mapping the differences in the dog's genome compared to a "normal" one. They also referenced a study on dog breeds and behaviors based on genomic sequence.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
Well I just checked out my boy's breed of dog. Not what we expected...But the analysis came with some raw data, 200,000 base pairs on ... 41 chromosomes. They're in a .TPED file, which can be opened in Excel. Apparently, it an also be analyzed using PLINK software.

Wondering what I can do to visualize this data in a poster or something.

I mean, I could do it myself manually, but are there any existing options?

1651351591280.png

Biology news on Phys.org
Have you considered making making a karyotype?

This will make far more sense to most people, kind of intuitive.
This is what karyorypes look like:
https://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/basics/karyotype
Assuming your data is presented as chromosome groups - DNA from one chromosome, then the next.

Write come code to aggregate the data into 41 linear blobs. Add a "centromere as a wider dummy blob" somewhere in the middle of each "chromosome".

Sort of free form art based on real data.

jim mcnamara said:
Have you considered making making a karyotype?
Sure.
jim mcnamara said:
Write come code to aggregate the data into 41 linear blobs. Add a "centromere as a wider dummy blob" somewhere in the middle of each "chromosome".
I think my coding days are behind me.

There are probably already genetic maps and chromosomal pictures of dog genome available some where.
It might be interesting to know what are the major differences in your dog's genome vs. "normal", and then mapping them to the already known dog genome.
If lots of them map to a single location, maybe its something like a deletion (exciting!).

A list of predicted features your dog might have, based on its molecularly identified alleles that differ from "normal", would be interesting to compare with the dog's actual behaviors.
A big article on how much a dog or its breed influences its behavior and how that compares to the dog's genetic make-up: (https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/big-article-on-dog-breeds-in-science.1014733/).
They have looked at lots of behaviors and compared them with breed and genomic sequence.
That would probably be a good step on the way to a better genetic understanding of your dog.

1. What is raw genetic data?

Raw genetic data refers to the unprocessed, unanalyzed data collected from an individual's genetic sample. This data contains information about the individual's genetic makeup, including their DNA sequence and variations in their genetic code.

2. What is a Plink file?

A Plink file, also known as a .bed file, is a type of file format commonly used in genetic association studies. It contains genotype data for individuals at specific genetic markers, such as single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs).

3. What is a TPED file?

A TPED file is a type of file format used in genetic association studies to store genotype data. It contains information about the alleles present at each genetic marker for each individual in a study.

4. How is raw genetic data used in research?

Raw genetic data is used in research to study the relationship between genetic variations and diseases or traits. It can also be used to identify genetic markers associated with certain conditions, and to understand the genetic basis of complex diseases.

5. How can Plink and TPED files be analyzed?

Plink and TPED files can be analyzed using various software programs and algorithms, such as Plink, SNPTEST, and Genome-wide Complex Trait Analysis (GCTA). These programs can perform statistical analyses to identify associations between genetic markers and traits or diseases.