Ray A Reflection & Emergence: True or False?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the concept of net deviation in relation to a ray reflecting off a mirror. Net deviation is the overall change in direction of a ray after multiple reflections. The internal reflection in the diagram results in a counter clockwise deviation in the same direction as the original path of the ray. The extent of the deviation can be calculated using basic geometry principles.
Eddie10

Homework Statement

The net deviation of ray A(Figure(i))) in counter clockwise direction after one reflection and emergence is 180+2i-4r (True False)

Homework Equations

KX9rMeh.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to begin to solve this problem, so there is no attempt at a solution.

Physics news on Phys.org
The 'relevant equations' section is where you can post any standard equations from theory that you believe may be relevant. Equations only related to the specific question belong in the problem statement.
Even if you don't understand how to start on the problem, you surely have some thoughts about it that you can share. This helps us understand where/why you are stuck. E.g., do you understand what is meant by a net deviation?

Homework Equations

:[/B]

Snell's Law isall i have for relevant equations.
n_1 sintheta = n_2 sin_theta

Eddie10 said:

Homework Equations

:[/B]

Snell's Law isall i have for relevant equations.
n_1 sintheta = n_2 sin_theta
Ok, but that won't help here. It is purely a matter of geometry.
You didn't answer my question: do you understand what is meant by net deviation? Start with something simple - what is the deviation of the ray, in counterclockwise sense, at the internal reflection step?

Ohhh...I don't understand what is meant by net deviation. What exactly is it in relation to this problem?

Eddie10 said:
Ohhh...I don't understand what is meant by net deviation. What exactly is it in relation to this problem?
If something changes the direction of a ray the ray is said to have been deviated. The extent of the deviation is the angle (measured anticlockwise) by which the direction has changed. So if a ray strikes a mirror along the normal it will be deviated 180 degrees. If it strikes it at 30 degrees to the normal it will be deviated by either 120 degrees or 240 degrees.
After a sequence of deviations, the net deviation is the overall change in direction.
So, can you figure out the deviation that results from the internal reflection in the diagram?

Alright, so this mean that the internal deviation is the path the ray originally took, and thus, it has deviated in the same direction, but counter clockwise.
So, then it can't be a 360 degree deviation, right?

Sorry, I'm still studying this topic.

Alright, so if a ray strikes at 30 degrees to the normal, how is it deviated 120 or 240 degrees?

Eddie10 said:
Alright, so if a ray strikes at 30 degrees to the normal, how is it deviated 120 or 240 degrees?
Suppose the ray starts left to right at 30 degrees above the horizontal and strikes a vertical mirror. The reflection will go right to left, still at 30 degrees above horizontal. If you take the path of the ray as it is about hit the mirror and rotate it anticlockwise until it matches the path just after reflection from the mirror, what angle do you rotate the ray by?

Thanks for the help. I know the answers are true for all of them, or at least I think so they're true, but I still need to go through this problem to understand what is going on.

I'll post later on in the day as I have a Physics 103 lab that I need to get ready for.

Thanks for your help!

1. Is the concept of "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" real or just a theory?

The concept of "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" is a theory that is based on scientific principles and evidence. It has not been proven to be true or false yet, and further research is needed to fully understand it.

2. What is the main idea behind "Ray A Reflection & Emergence"?

The main idea behind "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" is that light is not just a wave or a particle, but a combination of both. It suggests that light has properties of both a wave and a particle, and its behavior can be explained by both theories.

3. How does "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" impact our understanding of light and its properties?

"Ray A Reflection & Emergence" challenges our traditional understanding of light as either a wave or a particle. It suggests that light is more complex than we previously thought, and we need to develop new theories and models to fully understand its behavior.

4. Can "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, the concept of "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" can potentially be applied to other areas of science, such as quantum mechanics and particle physics. It may also have implications for our understanding of other phenomena, such as sound waves and electromagnetic radiation.

5. What are the potential implications of "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" in technology and practical applications?

If "Ray A Reflection & Emergence" is proven to be true, it could have significant implications for technology and practical applications. It may lead to the development of new technologies that utilize the properties of light in a more efficient and effective way.