Re-derive the surface area of a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of the formula for the surface area of a sphere using a double integral over the polar angle and azimuthal angle. The individual is seeking help and has been unable to find an explanation using these angles. Suggestions are made to check Wikipedia and other sources for further explanations.
naomineu
Hey everyone,
I've been stuck on this one piece of HW for days and was hoping someone could help me.
It reads:
The surface area, A, of a sphere with radius R is given by
A=4πR^2
Re-derive this formula and write down the 3 essential steps. This formula is usually derived from a double integral over the polar angle φ and the azimuthal angle θ. Find it on the internet or look it up elsewhere.

I have been searching and a vast majority of the explanations use the geometry to figure it out and I can't find ANY that have an explanation using the polar angle and azimuthal angle.
Can anyone please help?

THANK YOU

Physics news on Phys.org
naomineu said:
Hey everyone,
I've been stuck on this one piece of HW for days and was hoping someone could help me.
It reads:
The surface area, A, of a sphere with radius R is given by
A=4πR^2
Re-derive this formula and write down the 3 essential steps. This formula is usually derived from a double integral over the polar angle φ and the azimuthal angle θ. Find it on the internet or look it up elsewhere.

I have been searching and a vast majority of the explanations use the geometry to figure it out and I can't find ANY that have an explanation using the polar angle and azimuthal angle.
Can anyone please help?

THANK YOU
Have you looked at the Wikipedia page and the links there?

fresh_42 said:
Have you looked at the Wikipedia page and the links there?
I have, but none of the explanations use the polar angle and the azimuthal angle.

1. What is the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere is A = 4πr2, where r is the radius of the sphere.

2. How is the formula derived?

The formula for finding the surface area of a sphere is derived by first dividing the sphere into an infinite number of small circles, then adding up the surface area of each circle. This results in the formula A = 4πr2.

3. Can the formula be simplified or expressed in another way?

Yes, the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere can also be expressed as A = 2π2r2, which is equivalent to 4πr2.

4. Is there a real-life application for knowing the surface area of a sphere?

Yes, knowing the surface area of a sphere is important in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, it can be used to calculate the volume of a sphere-shaped container or to design a spherical dome structure.

5. Are there any limitations to using the formula for finding the surface area of a sphere?

While the formula is accurate for perfectly symmetrical spheres, it may not be as precise for irregularly shaped spheres. Also, the formula assumes that the surface of the sphere is smooth and continuous, which may not always be the case in real-life applications.