Using infinitesimals to find the volume of a sphere/surface

In summary, the author is trying to find the surface area of a sphere using single variable calculus, but gets confused because the surface is not orthogonal to the y-direction.
EddiePhys
I've always thought of dxat the end of an integral as a "full stop" or something to tell me what variable I'm integrating with respect to.
I looked up the derivation of the formula for volume of a sphere, and here, dx is taken as an infinitesimally small change which is multiplied by the area of a disc(pi r^2) giving [tex]\displaystyle V = 2\pi \int_0^r x^2 dy[/tex] which is the sum of these infinitesimals.

000-volume-of-sphere-integration.jpg

Now I'm really confused. Is it correct to think of it this way? Is there any other way to prove this result without using infinitesimals? Also, if I'm integrating from 0 to r, wouldn't this give me the area of only half the sphere?

Part two to my question:
Using this same logic of using infinitesimals, I tried to find the surface area of a sphere and looked at it as the sum of infinite rings.

[tex]\displaystyle A = \int_0^r 2\pi x dy[/tex]
[tex]=> \displaystyle A = \int_0^r 2\pi \sqrt{r^2-y^2} dy[/tex]
But this is wrong. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
EddiePhys said:
But this is wrong. Why?
You are failing to account for the fact that the surface element is not orthogonal to the y-direction.

EddiePhys said:
Also, if I'm integrating from 0 to r, wouldn't this give me the area of only half the sphere?
Yes, but you have multiplied your integral by 2, so it's okay. Or you can omit the 2 and integrate from -r to +r. Same thing

Orodruin said:
You are failing to account for the fact that the surface element is not orthogonal to the y-direction.

I'm sorry, I don't understand. How is this any different from the volume case?

EddiePhys said:
I'm sorry, I don't understand. How is this any different from the volume case?
Draw a picture of your circle. At a given y, draw a section of the circle of width dy. That section is a straight rod (a supposed to the disk that you had in the case of the sphere). The analogue of the volume of the disk that you had for the case of the sphere (which was ##\pi dy x^2##) is now the area of the of the rod, which is width x length = dy times 2 x, where ## x = \sqrt{R^2-y^2} ##. Now integrate over y from 0 to R (and then multiply by 2 to get the total area of the circle).

Surface area when using single variable calculus without parametrization requires the use of Lagrange's mean value theorem. So, instead of using dy, there is a need to use the infinitesimal ds.

Try deriving the inertia of an inverted isosceles triangle using single variable calculus.

Last edited:
For your surface area equation, what you're doing is constructing cylinders, and the integral will add all of the surface areas of the cylinders to get the total surface area. The problem is that when you construct cylinders, like the one in the picture, the endpoints of the cylinder do not trace the surface of the circle, so your integral will not be accurate. Notice in the picture, the top-right of the cylinder touches the circle's surface, but the bottom-right of the cylinder is not actually touching the circle, it is off by a bit.

You should try finding the surface integral using two parameters theta and z. Try taking the cross product to find the vector that points in direction of gradient. It's that easy

1. What are infinitesimals and how are they used to find the volume of a sphere/surface?

Infinitesimals are infinitely small quantities that are used in calculus to approximate the volume of curved surfaces, such as a sphere. By dividing the surface into smaller and smaller infinitesimal elements, we can calculate the volume by summing up these infinitesimal volumes.

2. How do infinitesimals differ from regular numbers?

Infinitesimals are different from regular numbers because they are infinitely small and cannot be expressed as a finite decimal or fraction. They are used in calculus to represent the change in a variable, rather than a specific value.

3. Can infinitesimals be used to find the volume of any curved surface?

Yes, infinitesimals can be used to find the volume of any curved surface, as long as the surface can be divided into infinitesimal elements. This method is commonly used in calculus to find the volumes of spheres, cones, and other curved objects.

4. What are the limitations of using infinitesimals to find volume?

One limitation of using infinitesimals is that it requires advanced mathematical techniques, such as integration, to calculate the final volume. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by the size of the infinitesimal elements used.

5. Are there any real-world applications of using infinitesimals to find volume?

Yes, there are many real-world applications of using infinitesimals to find volume. For example, engineers and architects use this method to calculate the volume of curved structures, such as domes and arches. It is also used in physics to calculate the volume of irregularly shaped objects, such as a drop of water or a cloud.