Re-neging Grad School Acceptance

In summary, "re-neging" on a graduate school acceptance refers to the act of accepting an offer to attend a graduate program and then later changing your mind and declining the offer. While not common, it does happen and can have negative consequences such as damaging your professional reputation and creating inconvenience for the program. If you need to re-neg, it is important to do so as soon as possible and respectfully communicate with the program. It is not recommended to re-neg after paying a deposit, but if necessary, offering to help find a replacement is important.
holomorphic
Hi all,

I didn't hear from a particular school until today about my PhD application. Unfortunately, I already accepted admission at another school--is there a way to back out of that if I want to go to this other school?

Advice much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you can call them up and tell them you're not coming. They probably won't be happy about it, but if you tell them now, they can still offer the position to someone else. But make sure you accept the new school first, and make sure they know you're coming.

1. What is "re-neging" on a graduate school acceptance?

"Re-neging" on a graduate school acceptance refers to the act of accepting an offer to attend a graduate program and then later changing your mind and declining the offer.

2. Is it common for students to re-neg on their graduate school acceptances?

While it is not common, it does happen. Some students may receive a better offer from a different program or may have a change of plans that make attending graduate school no longer feasible.

3. Will re-neging on a graduate school acceptance have negative consequences?

Yes, re-neging on a graduate school acceptance can have negative consequences. It can damage your professional reputation and future opportunities, as well as create inconvenience for the graduate program you initially accepted.

4. What should I do if I need to re-neg on my graduate school acceptance?

If you need to re-neg on your graduate school acceptance, it is important to do so as soon as possible. Contact the program directly and explain your situation respectfully and professionally. Apologize for any inconvenience and offer to help find a suitable replacement for your spot in the program.

5. Can I re-neg on a graduate school acceptance after paying a deposit?

It is not recommended to re-neg on a graduate school acceptance after paying a deposit. This is because the deposit is often non-refundable and the program may have already made plans and arrangements based on your acceptance. However, if you have a valid reason for needing to re-neg, it is still important to communicate with the program and offer to help find a replacement for your spot.