Re: The electrical excitation of quantum dots

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of quantum dots (QDs) in liquid form/suspension and their electrical excitation. The speaker is interested in using QDs for light production and asks if electrical excitation can be achieved by simply passing current through QDs suspended in toluene. They also inquire about the preparation and voltage/energy requirements for QDs to respond electrically. The conversation also mentions the possibility of using an AC electric field on QDs placed in toluene between capacitor plates, but notes the need for knowledge on the electrical properties of QDs.
Chris Darroch
We most often witness the presentation of quantum dots in viles or containers which are excited via UV light.

I am more interested in their electrical excitation.

Could I simply take a sample of QDs from one of those viles and passing an electrical current through that sample excite the quantum dots to produce their light?

QDs are often supplied suspended in toluene...Again...could I simple pass electrical current through such samples and expect the production of light via the QDs?

If some sort of preparation of the colloidal QDs were necessary in order to achieve electrophospherescence; what might that be and would I expect the production of more light than with application of UV .

In general terms...I am interested in the electrical excitation of QDs in liquid form/suspension.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I understand thar QDs are used in live tissue and in some of these applications they are excited electrically using voltages found within tissues. But do these QDS require special preparation to respond electrically ?

Chris Darroch said:
QDs are often supplied suspended in toluene...Again...could I simple pass electrical current through such samples and expect the production of light via the QDs?
Is toluene an electrical insulator? How much current could flow through toluene?
What voltage or energy in eV is needed to break down the structure of toluene?

What would happen if you placed the QD in toluene between the plates of a capacitor and subjected it to an AC electric field?

Last edited:
We would need to know the electrical properties of the QD. You can pass an electrical current through some materials and they don't get appreciably excited.

1. What are quantum dots?

Quantum dots are nanoscale semiconductor particles that exhibit unique optical and electrical properties due to their size and composition.

2. How are quantum dots excited?

Quantum dots can be excited through various methods, including optical excitation with a laser, electrical excitation through a voltage or current, or by increasing the temperature.

3. What is the significance of electrical excitation of quantum dots?

Electrical excitation of quantum dots allows for precise control over their excitation and emission, making them ideal for applications in electronics, optoelectronics, and quantum computing.

4. How does electrical excitation affect the properties of quantum dots?

Electrical excitation can change the energy levels and band structure of quantum dots, altering their optical and electrical properties. This can be utilized for various applications, such as tunable emission and quantum information processing.

5. What are potential applications of the electrical excitation of quantum dots?

The electrical excitation of quantum dots has potential applications in fields such as solar cells, LED displays, sensors, and quantum information processing. It also has the potential to revolutionize the field of nanotechnology.