Reaching 100K Members: PF Celebrates a Major Milestone!

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Members
In summary: I forget how many members we have now).In summary, the PF community has reached 100,000 members. Congratulations to the Admin and staff, our Science Advisors and Homework Helpers, our gold members who pay to keep PF alive, and the many bright and dedicated members who have helped to further the cause of education and to make PF the best on the web.
Thanks for the explanation Gokul.

Here's a couple of graphs of how the forum has grown over the years, in terms of members who have actually posted.

Attachments

• PF_MembersPosting_Lin.gif
    PF_MembersPosting_Lin.gif
    13.4 KB · Views: 386
  • PF_MembersPosting_Log.gif
    PF_MembersPosting_Log.gif
    30 KB · Views: 403
Physics news on Phys.org
Cyrus said:
It ran out. Then I saw all these damn ads. My god its horrible.

Firefox + Adblock Plus?

I've never seen any ads on this site (or most others.)

mattmns said:
Sometimes he removes people that have just never posted anything useful.

... ah crap, I hope he doesn't do that this time.

Just to make things clear: I purge account usually once every few months. I only delete old accounts that never comfirmed their registration email address. For whatever strange reason only 1 in 3 confirm their email. and... I will purge soon again, we'll see maybe a 2-3k drop. But I'll do it once we are over 100k

Vid said:
Firefox + Adblock Plus?

I've never seen any ads on this site (or most others.)

Definately your right to do so, but once we start using impression based ad campaigns, blocking the ads does hurt the site in a way. You'll not only be blocking the ads, but also much needed revenue.

too bad you didn't come up with some contest of who could guess to the nearest second when it did reach 100k

Greg Bernhardt said:
Definately your right to do so, but once we start using impression based ad campaigns, blocking the ads does hurt the site in a way. You'll not only be blocking the ads, but also much needed revenue.

So the ad companies tell whether their ad are being received by the user browser or not?

Redbelly98 said:
Thanks for the explanation Gokul.

Here's a couple of graphs of how the forum has grown over the years, in terms of members who have actually posted.
Very nice Red! How did you make/find those graphs?

Looks like the membership growth over the last 3 years has indeed been close to exponential.

Gokul43201 said:

Looks like the membership growth over the last 3 years has indeed been close to exponential.

Hey Gokul,

I found some similar statistics, though I do not know how dated they are! :smile:

http://www.big-boards.com/board/1213/"

_Mayday_

Last edited by a moderator:
Number of posts: 1608250
Number of members: 99821
Post per member ratio: 16
Posts last week: 7783

Have a look at my link, at the number of posts in December! What happened then! The place must have gone through the roof!

_Mayday_ said:
Hey Gokul,

I found some similar statistics, though I do not know how dated they are! :smile:

http://www.big-boards.com/board/1213/" _Mayday_
Thanks Mayday. That looks like current (2007-2008) data. It shows that nearly 8000 member purge I mentioned.

Looks like the current sign-up rate is close to 150 per day - within 10% of Ivan's prediction!

Gokul43201 said:
You can sort the members list by join date here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?&order=ASC&sort=joindate&pp=30
Then, you can figure out how many posting members have joined up to any date, using the fact that 30 members are displayed per page. It took maybe an hour to compile the numbers and put them into Excel to make the graphs.

Yep, at about 50% annual growth.

_Mayday_ said:
Number of posts: 1608250
Number of members: 99821
Post per member ratio: 16
Posts last week: 7783

Have a look at my link, at the number of posts in December! What happened then! The place must have gone through the roof!

I think not ... the graph shows 1 week with zero posts, followed by a week with about double the normal amount of posts. Looks like the data-loggers just took a week off, and then got caught up when they returned :smile:

We should have a ceremony for the 100,000th member!

...well, it might scare them off to see thousands of members running at them waving fish over their heads...

lisab said:
We should have a ceremony for the 100,000th member!

...well, it might scare them off to see thousands of members running at them waving fish over their heads...

That's such a great idea. I was thinking maybe we could have 100,000 fish drop from the ceiling as soon as they confirm registration.

They could get a dollar from each of the other members and make everyone else very jealous.

Math Is Hard said:

I'm guessing 100k will sign up on Tuesday.

And if Greg does another purge right after that, we can have two lucky #100,000's :wink:

Evo said:
Oh a fish drop!

Redbelly98 said:

And if Greg does another purge right after that, we can have two lucky #100,000's :wink:
The last time we were waiting for the 30,000th member to sign up, a certain clever somone here created a sockpuppet and got the honor. :biggrin:

Redbelly98 said:

I'll guess Monday June 2 10:29 AM CST

are we starting a pool then?

Math Is Hard said:
are we starting a pool then?

yes---

and you can be one of the life guards

Evo said:
The last time we were waiting for the 30,000th member to sign up, a certain clever somone here created a sockpuppet and got the honor. :biggrin:

haha, that was awesome. Ivan!

Here is the original 30,000 member thread (just 3 years ago): https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=89349

It really gets interesting on the last two pages :biggrin:

Members: 99,957

Shoot! I was hoping Greg's Dad would be the 100,000th.

We no longer have 'Newest Member' notifications, do we?

Pool guess: Monday, June 2nd 3:45 pm MST.

Gokul43201 said:
We no longer have 'Newest Member' notifications, do we?
Doesn't look like it :cry:

Maybe we (Greg :smile:) can create something special for the 100000th member?

mattmns said:
haha, that was awesome. Ivan!

Wasn't me. Evo can vouch for that.

Hmm... so who was it?

Redbelly98 said:
You can sort the members list by join date here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php?&order=ASC&sort=joindate&pp=30

Note that this came after a software upgrade that did not preserve the sign-on dates. I think PF actually first started about Jan 01.

Greg?

mattmns said:
Hmm... so who was it?
it was Ivan

Ivan Seeking said:
Note that this came after a software upgrade that did not preserve the sign-on dates. I think PF actually first started about Jan 01.

Greg?

True, infact if we added the two years we lost do to drastic software changes we'd have another ~200k posts and ~10k more members.

Evo said:
it was Ivan

Keep that up and you're out of my will. :rofl:

It was Evo.

mattmns said:
Pool guess: Monday, June 2nd 3:45 pm MST.

Hate to get nit-picky, but we are on daylight saving time. So these guesses should really say MDT, CDT, EDT, etc. I guess we'll assume that's what people mean?

My guess: Tuesday June 3, 7:15 a.m. EDT.

Count jumped from 99,976 to 99,998 at 11:35 GMT

100,000 at exactly 12:00 GMT

pf100000.PNG

That's local 2pm peasants time here

Last edited:
Looks like it could be MariusP or ThobAgreere is the 100 000th member.