Reading a wood cutting blade specification

In summary, the grinder spacer flange nut with a 16 mm center diameter is not safe to use with a 20 mm blade. The spacer is used to center the saw blade on the spindle while the flange nut is being tightened. The flange nut must be big enough to retain the 20 mm blade. The blade also has a 72 teeth per inch total and a diameter of 4 inches. It is made of HSS (High Speed Steel) material and is designed to be used with a grinder, but it is not recommended to use handheld grinders without a guard. It is important to carefully consider the blade specifications, including the number of teeth, shape, and application, before use.
abdulbadii
TL;DR Summary
How to read and understand a wood cutting blade specification
How do we read and understand a wood cutting blade specification (e.g. below) ?
Is the grinder spacer flange nut for 16 mm center diameter metal cutting disc can safely be used for 20 mm one of such blade?
main-qimg-21e08f906878a5ef464abfbb23d23111-lq.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
abdulbadii said:
Is the grinder spacer flange nut for 16 mm center diameter metal cutting disc can safely be used for 20 mm one of such blade?
The spacer is NOT used with a 20 mm spindle.
The spacer is used when the spindle is 16 mm.
The spacer is used to center the saw blade on the spindle while the flange nut is being tightened. The flange nut must be big enough to retain the 20 mm blade.

Likes berkeman
72T = 72 Teeth per inch total around the blade
4" = Diameter in inches
1.1mm = not sure on this, either blade thickness OR kerf width (width of the cut)
20mm = bore (central hole) diameter

HSS = blade material, High Speed Steel

Last edited:
Likes Lnewqban
abdulbadii said:
...grinder ... cutting disc can safely be used
I cannot really add anything about the original question, but ... well, these kind of saw blades just cannot be used safely on a (handheld) grinder.

Especially in the frequently used configuration, without the guard.

• Wow
Likes DaveE, abdulbadii, berkeman and 1 other person
Tom.G said:
72T = 72 Teeth per inch
Think more carefully about this.

Likes Tom.G and berkeman
Rive said:
I cannot really add anything about the original question, but ... well, these kind of saw blades just cannot be used safely on a (handheld) grinder.
Wait, what?

abdulbadii said:
What in the world are you trying to do?

berkeman said:
Wait, what?
link (sorry, members only - but the excerpt and the picture tells everything you need to know).

There are ways to (safely) use grinders with saw blades, but I think it's better to have a warning here.

• Wow
Likes berkeman
Rive said:
link (sorry, members only - but the excerpt and the picture tells everything you need to know).
Holy Crap! Here, hold my beer for a minute...

Battlebots?

Tom.G said:
72T = 72 Teeth per inch

Averagesupernova said:
Think more carefully about this.
Oops! You're right. That is a TOTAL of 72 Teeth around the blade.
Corrected.

Thanks for the catch!

Likes berkeman and Averagesupernova

1. What is the purpose of a wood cutting blade specification?

A wood cutting blade specification provides detailed information about the blade, including its size, shape, and material, as well as its intended use. This information is important for selecting the right blade for a specific cutting task and ensuring safety and efficiency.

2. What are the key components of a wood cutting blade specification?

The key components of a wood cutting blade specification include the blade type, diameter, arbor size, tooth count, and material. The blade type refers to the shape of the blade, such as circular or reciprocating. The diameter is the size of the blade, and the arbor size is the hole in the center of the blade that fits onto the saw's spindle. The tooth count indicates the number of teeth on the blade, and the material refers to the type of metal used to make the blade.

3. How do I choose the right wood cutting blade for my project?

To choose the right wood cutting blade, you need to consider the type of wood you will be cutting, the thickness of the wood, and the type of saw you will be using. Different types of wood may require different blade types and tooth counts. Thicker wood may need a blade with more teeth to make a clean cut, while thinner wood may require a blade with fewer teeth to prevent it from getting stuck in the wood. It is important to refer to the blade specification to ensure you have the right blade for your project.

4. What does the blade material tell me about its performance?

The blade material can give you an idea of how durable and efficient the blade will be for cutting wood. Carbide-tipped blades, for example, are known for their durability and ability to cut through tough materials. High-speed steel blades are more affordable but may not last as long. It is important to consider the type of wood and the frequency of use when choosing a blade material.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using a wood cutting blade?

Yes, it is important to always wear appropriate safety gear, such as safety glasses and gloves, when using a wood cutting blade. Make sure to read and follow the manufacturer's instructions for proper use and maintenance of the blade. It is also important to use the correct blade for the type of saw and wood you are cutting to prevent accidents and ensure a clean cut.