Reading Paper on Earth Occultation Technique

In summary, the Burst and Transient Source Experiment uses the Earth occultation technique to measure the position and properties of gamma-ray sources. Appendix B contains equations for calculating occultation times, but it is assumed that these were derived elsewhere. Appendix C is less complete and suggests the use of Starlink or SLALIB for considering the WGS84 ellipsoid of the Earth. These software systems may be available through an observatory organization's license.
yucheng
TL;DR Summary
I was reading a paper and I need help with the derivations of the equations for occultation timing. Where were these equations first derived?

The Burst and Transient Source Experiment Earth Occultation Technique​

https://www.semanticscholar.org/pap...hman/b4e57f91de6fec73fa680bcd7d6efbdf0de10bee

In **Appendix B**, the authors derive the equations for the occultation times. However, it appears that many steps were left out. I suspect that these equations were first derived elsewhere. Do you happen to know where? I have tried looking into the citations in the last paragraph of the **Introduction**, but to no avail (maybe I did not look carefully enough?) It might possibly be located in the Proceedings to the Gamma Ray Observatory Science Workshop...

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I am just trying my luck here {:-)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Appendix B seems fairly complete to me. It assumes the Earth is a sphere and that seen from a satellite the Earth hides a circular area of sky. Since the position of the satellite relative to the Earth is known, the centre of the circular occultation is known. The height of the satellite decides the angular diameter of the occultation. The target, at an infinite range, effectively crosses the circle along a chord that probably never passes through the centre of the circle.

It is Appendix C that I find less complete. Since the WGS84 ellipsoid for the Earth is then being considered, I would use Starlink, or SLALIB: A Positional Astronomy Library;
http://www.ascl.net/1403.025
https://github.com/Starlink/starlink

Your observatory organisation probably has a license for a fully maintained version of the software system.

Likes yucheng

1. What is the Earth Occultation Technique?

The Earth Occultation Technique is a scientific method used to study the properties of celestial objects such as stars and planets. It involves measuring the changes in the intensity of X-rays as they pass through the Earth's atmosphere and are blocked by the Earth itself.

2. How does the Earth Occultation Technique work?

The Earth Occultation Technique works by using X-ray detectors to measure the intensity of X-rays coming from a celestial object as they pass through the Earth's atmosphere. As the object moves behind the Earth, the X-rays are blocked and the intensity decreases. By analyzing these changes in intensity, scientists can gather information about the object's properties.

3. What can the Earth Occultation Technique tell us about celestial objects?

The Earth Occultation Technique can provide valuable information about the size, shape, and composition of celestial objects. It can also help scientists determine the temperature, density, and other physical properties of these objects.

4. What are the advantages of using the Earth Occultation Technique?

The Earth Occultation Technique has several advantages over other methods of studying celestial objects. It is relatively inexpensive and can be used with existing equipment. It also provides more accurate measurements of X-ray intensity compared to other techniques.

5. How is the Earth Occultation Technique used in current research?

The Earth Occultation Technique is currently being used in various research projects to study different celestial objects, such as black holes, neutron stars, and exoplanets. It has also been used to study the Earth's atmosphere and to detect potential hazards in space, such as asteroids and comets.