Real Analysis Definition and Explanation

In summary, the statement "##t## is a subsequential limit for ##(s_n)##" means that there exists a subsequence ##(s_{n_k})## of ##(s_n)## that converges to ##t##. This follows from the definition of a subsequential limit, which states that for any ##\epsilon > 0##, there exists an infinite set of indices ##\{n_k\}## such that ##|s_{n_k}-t| < \epsilon## for all ##k##.Furthermore, there exists a strictly increasing sequence ##(n_k)^\infty_{k=1}## of natural numbers such that ##\lim s_{n_k}=t##
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

1) Suppose ##t## is a subsequential limit for ##(s_n)##. Write the precise definition of the meaning of this statement.

2) Explain why there exists a strictly increasing sequence ##(n_k)^\infty_{k=1}## of natural numbers such that ##\lim s_{n_k}=t##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure what to do for 1). Doesn't this just mean that there exist a subsequence that converges to t? I am not exactly sure how precisely I need to state it, or how I would if a lot of precision is necessary.

For 2), doesn't this just follow from the definition of a subsequential limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Is it mentioned that the sequence ##\{s_n\}_{n=1}^\infty## is bounded?

Eclair_de_XII said:
Is is not mentioned that the sequence is bounded or unbounded.

If the sequence is ##\{s_n\}##, then a subsequence is written as ##\{s_{n_k}\}##, where ##n_1, n_2, n_3, \dots, ## is an increasing sequence of indices. Can you write a definition of a subsequence that converges to t using this notation?

Eclair_de_XII said:

This isn't relevant for the problem. The statement is true with or without boundedness.

Mr Davis 97 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not exactly sure what to do for 1). Doesn't this just mean that there exist a subsequence that converges to t? I am not exactly sure how precisely I need to state it, or how I would if a lot of precision is necessary.

(1) Write it as formally as you can!
(2) We can't help you with (1) if you don't tell us what definition of subsequential limit you use.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

1) Suppose ##t## is a subsequential limit for ##(s_n)##. Write the precise definition of the meaning of this statement.

Since you've recently asked questions about the logic of quantifiers, my guess is that this problem is testing your skill in writing definitions involving the use of "there exists".

2) Explain why there exists a strictly increasing sequence ##(n_k)^\infty_{k=1}## of natural numbers such that ##\lim s_{n_k}=t##.

As @Mark44 indicated, if you write a definition that says "there exists a subsequence", that statement is not identical to the claim that "there exists a strictly increasing sequence ##(n_k)## of natural numbers such that...". , although the latter statement might be taken for granted in a typical mathematical article. So imagine someone insists that you "split hairs" and explain why a definition that says "there exists a subsequence..." implies a statement about the existence of a certain strictly increasing sequence of natural numbers. (To do that, you need to use the formal definition of a subsequence.)

1. What is Real Analysis?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of real numbers and their properties. It involves the rigorous examination of mathematical concepts such as limits, continuity, differentiation, and integration.

2. What is the difference between Real Analysis and Calculus?

While Calculus is primarily concerned with techniques for solving problems involving real numbers, Real Analysis focuses on the theoretical foundations and rigorous proofs of these techniques. It also extends beyond the scope of Calculus to study more advanced topics such as sequences, series, and functions of several variables.

3. How is Real Analysis used in other fields of science?

Real Analysis serves as a fundamental tool in many fields of science, including physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It provides a framework for understanding and analyzing continuous processes and systems in these fields.

4. What are the key concepts in Real Analysis?

Some key concepts in Real Analysis include limits, continuity, differentiation, integration, sequences, and series. These concepts are crucial in understanding the behavior of functions and their properties.

5. What are some real-world applications of Real Analysis?

Real Analysis has numerous applications in the real world, such as in the analysis of financial markets, weather patterns, and population growth. It is also used in engineering for designing and analyzing structures, in physics for understanding motion and forces, and in computer science for developing algorithms and data analysis methods.