How Is the Refractive Index Calculated from Apparent and Real Depths?

In summary: You should get 6 cm, not 4 cm ! So why does your method fail for a true distance of 9 cm, but work for a true distance of 15 cm ?It seems that the apparent depth changes as the true depth changes, which makes sense as the light rays have to travel through different thicknesses of glass to reach our eye. However, your formula for apparent depth (6 in this case) divided by the true depth (9 here) should give you the index of refraction, not 2/3 or 0.67. So, if you use the correct formula, you should get the correct answer of n=1.5.
SammyD97

Homework Statement

Hi. I need help with homework. the correct answers have been provided in the question. one doesn't match with mine and the other does. I don't understand how the one answer can be correct when its dependent on my incorrect answer.

A transparent cube of 15cm edge contains a small air bubble. its apparent depth when viewed when viewed from one face of the cube is 6cm and when viewed from the opposite face is 4cm. what is the refractive index of the substance of the cube and what is the actual distance of the bubble from the first face.
Answers: Refractive index=1.5 real depth=9cm

Homework Equations

apparent depth/real depth=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

6/real depth=n2/1
6=n2*real depth
rd=6/n2...(1) where rd=real depth

4/(15-rd)=n2/1
4=n2(15-rd)
4=15n2-n2*rd...(2)

substitute (1) into (2)
4=15n2-n2(6/n2)
4=15n2-6
10=15n2
n2=refractive index=2/3 (I thought the lowest refractive index was that in a vacuum where its 1)

6/real depth=2/3/1
6=2/3*real depth
real depth=9cm

Physics news on Phys.org
SammyD97 said:

Homework Statement

Hi. I need help with homework. the correct answers have been provided in the question. one doesn't match with mine and the other does. I don't understand how the one answer can be correct when its dependent on my incorrect answer.

A transparent cube of 15cm edge contains a small air bubble. its apparent depth when viewed when viewed from one face of the cube is 6cm and when viewed from the opposite face is 4cm. what is the refractive index of the substance of the cube and what is the actual distance of the bubble from the first face.
Answers: Refractive index=1.5 real depth=9cm

Homework Equations

apparent depth/real depth=n2/n1

The Attempt at a Solution

6/real depth=n2/1
6=n2*real depth
rd=6/n2...(1) where rd=real depth

4/(15-rd)=n2/1
4=n2(15-rd)
4=15n2-n2*rd...(2)

substitute (1) into (2)
4=15n2-n2(6/n2)
4=15n2-6
10=15n2
n2=refractive index=2/3 (I thought the lowest refractive index was that in a vacuum where its 1)

6/real depth=2/3/1
6=2/3*real depth
real depth=9cm
Hello SammyD97. Welcome to PF ! (I thought I should be first to reply considering our user names.)

Your second answer is correct, because you make the same mistake in arriving at both answers, but the effect is to compensate for the mistake made in getting the first one.

Check on what you have done as follows:
Use the correct index of refraction, 1.5, and use your method to predict the apparent distance, knowing that the true distance is 9 cm from a surface.

What is the difference between real and apparent depth?

Real depth refers to the actual physical distance between two objects, while apparent depth is the perceived distance between two objects based on how they appear to the observer.

How is real depth measured?

Real depth can be measured using various tools such as a ruler, tape measure, or laser distance measurer. It can also be calculated using mathematical formulas and trigonometry.

What factors can affect apparent depth?

Apparent depth can be affected by factors such as the angle of observation, the size of the object, and the medium through which the object is being viewed (e.g. air, water, glass).

How is apparent depth different from perspective?

Perspective refers to the way objects appear to the human eye based on their relative size and position, while apparent depth refers specifically to the perceived distance between objects.

Why is understanding real and apparent depth important in science?

Understanding real and apparent depth is important in science because it allows us to accurately measure and describe objects and their positions in space. This is crucial for fields such as physics, astronomy, and geology.