Real integrals using complex analysis

In summary, the conversation involves attempting to solve four integrals that the individual has gathered, but is struggling with. They provide their work for two of the integrals and ask for help with the remaining two. The conversation also touches on the use of path integrals for complex functions and the importance of specifying closed paths in such integrals.
skrat

Homework Statement

After successfully solving a lot of integrals I gathered 4 ugly ones that I can not solve:

a) ## \int _{-\infty} ^\infty \frac{cos(2x)}{x^4+1}dx##

b) ##\int _0 ^\infty \frac{dx}{1+x^3}##

c) ##\int _0 ^\infty \frac{x^2+1}{x^4+1}dx##

d) ##\int _0 ^{2\pi } \frac{d\varphi }{a+cos(\varphi )}##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply don't know what to do with integrals ##\int _0 ^\infty##. Have no idea! Please help!

I can only show my work and a) and d):

a)

##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{cos(2z)}{z^4+1}dz=\int_{-R }^{R }\frac{cos(2x)}{x^4+1}dx+\int _\gamma\frac{cos(2z)}{z^4+1}dz## where ##R->\infty##.

Last integral is for ##z=Re^{i\varphi}## where ##R->\infty## clearely ##0##, therefore only one integral still remains:

##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{cos(2z)}{z^4+1}dz##

##\int_{-\infty }^{\infty }\frac{cos(2z)}{z^4+1}dz=2\pi i \sum Res(f,a)##

##z^4+1=0## gives me ##z_1=e^{i\pi /4}##, ##z_2=e^{i3pi /4}##, ##z_3=e^{i5\pi /4}## and ##z_4=e^{i7\pi /4}## singularity points which are all poles of order 1.

Therefore for all singularity points ##Res_{z=z_i} \frac{f(z)}{g(z)}=\frac{f(z_i)}{g^{'}(z_i)}=\frac{cos(2z_i)}{4z_i^3}##.

Now this is where it all stops for me. How much is for example ##\frac{cos(2e^{i5\pi /4})}{3e^{i15\pi /4}}## ?

d)
##\int _0 ^{2\pi } \frac{d\varphi }{a+cos(\varphi )}##

Hmmm... Can I say that ##cos(\varphi )=\frac{z+\bar{z}}{2}##?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Integrals of functions of complex variables are typically path integrals around closed paths so that the integral is the sum of the residues at all poles inside the paths. In none of these have you said what closed paths you are using! For example, because (a) has poles at four points, two in the upper half plane and two in the lower, I might be inclined to integrate along the real axis, from -R to R, then take the integral around the semi-circle in the upper half plane from r= R to r= -R (I presume that is your "[itex]\gamma[/itex]" but you should say so). As long as R is larger than 1, you will have both pole inside the path. And if you can prove that the integral around the semi-circle goes to 0 as R goes to infinity, that will be equal to the desired integral.

I don't understand why you switched from "2z" to "cos(2z)" in (a).

HallsofIvy said:
Integrals of functions of complex variables are typically path integrals around closed paths so that the integral is the sum of the residues at all poles inside the paths. In none of these have you said what closed paths you are using! For example, because (a) has poles at four points, two in the upper half plane and two in the lower, I might be inclined to integrate along the real axis, from -R to R, then take the integral around the semi-circle in the upper half plane from r= R to r= -R (I presume that is your "[itex]\gamma[/itex]" but you should say so). As long as R is larger than 1, you will have both pole inside the path. And if you can prove that the integral around the semi-circle goes to 0 as R goes to infinity, that will be equal to the desired integral.

I don't understand why you switched from "2z" to "cos(2z)" in (a).

Because it was a typo. The problem is with ##cos(2z)##. I have edited the first post now. And yes, you are correct, that is my ##\gamma ##.

Related to Real integrals using complex analysis

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It is a powerful tool for solving problems in calculus, geometry, and physics.

2. How is complex analysis used in real integrals?

Complex analysis is used in real integrals through the technique of contour integration. This method involves replacing a real integral with a complex integral and then using the properties of complex numbers to evaluate the integral. This technique is particularly useful for evaluating integrals that are difficult to solve using traditional methods.

3. What is a contour in complex analysis?

A contour in complex analysis is a curve or path in the complex plane along which a complex integral is evaluated. A contour can be any continuous curve that connects two points in the complex plane, and it can be chosen to simplify the evaluation of the integral.

4. What are the benefits of using complex analysis for real integrals?

Using complex analysis for real integrals has several benefits. It allows for the evaluation of integrals that are difficult or impossible to solve using traditional methods. It also provides a more efficient way of solving certain types of integrals and can often yield more elegant solutions. Additionally, complex analysis can be applied to a wide range of mathematical and scientific problems, making it a valuable tool for scientists and mathematicians.

5. Are there any limitations to using complex analysis for real integrals?

While complex analysis is a powerful tool for solving real integrals, it does have some limitations. It may not always be applicable to certain types of integrals, and some problems may require specialized knowledge or techniques. Additionally, complex analysis can be quite abstract and may be difficult for some individuals to grasp. However, with practice and understanding, complex analysis can be a valuable and versatile tool for solving real integrals.