Real-World Collision Investigation Project for High School Physics Students

In summary: Some good hits include:-A project that requires the students to measure the length of skid marks-A project that requires the students to find the weights of the vehicles-A project that requires the students to find the road surfaces coefficient of friction-A project that requires the students to determine the deceleration of the cars
dkifer
Hello:

I am not asking for help on a problem, but instead wondering if anybody has ever assigned (or been assigned) an in-depth research/investigation problem or project in their physics class that deals with a car collision?

What I am trying to find (or develop) is a problem or project that requires the students to measure, find, or be given important pieces of information from the scene of an accident like the road surfaces coefficient of friction, the weights of the vehicle(s), length of skid marks, and where the vehicles came to a stop.

They would then have to apply friction principles and Netwon's 2nd Law to determine the deceleration of the car, conservation of momentum when dealing with the cars colliding, etc. All of this would be done to work backwards to determine whether a particular car was speeding given a certain speed limit for the area of the accident.

The course is an algebra/trig-based high school physics. This project would be given to wrap up our mechanics unit (we would have covered kinematic formulas, Newton's Laws, Projectile Motion, Universal Gravitation, Laws of Conservation of Energy and Momentum, etc.). My goal is for it to be a culminating activity that require application of all of these things in a very real world setting. I would also have them write up a collision investigation report to submit to me, the prosecutor.

What I am wondering is if anybody has come across any good projects like this or has developed one themselves? I know that I could, with time, but I've always been a proponent of not recreating the wheel if somebody has found or created a project that is well developed!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
dkifer said:
Hello:

I am not asking for help on a problem, but instead wondering if anybody has ever assigned (or been assigned) an in-depth research/investigation problem or project in their physics class that deals with a car collision?

What I am trying to find (or develop) is a problem or project that requires the students to measure, find, or be given important pieces of information from the scene of an accident like the road surfaces coefficient of friction, the weights of the vehicle(s), length of skid marks, and where the vehicles came to a stop.

They would then have to apply friction principles and Netwon's 2nd Law to determine the deceleration of the car, conservation of momentum when dealing with the cars colliding, etc. All of this would be done to work backwards to determine whether a particular car was speeding given a certain speed limit for the area of the accident.

The course is an algebra/trig-based high school physics. This project would be given to wrap up our mechanics unit (we would have covered kinematic formulas, Newton's Laws, Projectile Motion, Universal Gravitation, Laws of Conservation of Energy and Momentum, etc.). My goal is for it to be a culminating activity that require application of all of these things in a very real world setting. I would also have them write up a collision investigation report to submit to me, the prosecutor.

What I am wondering is if anybody has come across any good projects like this or has developed one themselves? I know that I could, with time, but I've always been a proponent of not recreating the wheel if somebody has found or created a project that is well developed!

Thanks!

Interesting project. I'm not of direct help, but I googled car crash physics, and got a lot of good hits, including some about projects:

http://www.google.com/search?source...&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=car+crash+physics

1. What is the first step in investigating a car collision?

The first step in investigating a car collision is to ensure the safety of everyone involved. This may include moving to a safe location, calling emergency services, and providing first aid if necessary.

2. What evidence should be collected at the scene of a car collision?

Some important evidence to collect at the scene of a car collision includes photos of the vehicles involved, witness statements, and any physical evidence such as skid marks or debris. It is also important to obtain a copy of the police report.

3. How do you determine who is at fault in a car collision?

Determining fault in a car collision is a complex process that involves analyzing all available evidence, including witness statements, damage to the vehicles, and any traffic laws that may have been violated. It is ultimately up to insurance companies or the court system to determine fault.

4. What role do investigators play in a car collision case?

Investigators play a crucial role in a car collision case by gathering and analyzing evidence to determine the cause of the collision. They may also reconstruct the scene of the accident to help determine fault and provide expert testimony in court.

5. How long does a car collision investigation typically take?

The length of a car collision investigation can vary depending on the complexity of the case and the amount of evidence to analyze. It can range from a few weeks to several months. However, it is important to thoroughly investigate to ensure the most accurate outcome.