Really need to read the textbook?

In summary: You've had your say and now it's time for others to have theirs. You have so many misconceptions about college. It might not be fair in high school but in college anything is fair even if he mentions some obscure book that pertains to his or her lecture. I've had profs like these and its darn hard to get even a B in the class.I think its time to close this thread. You've had your say and now it's time for others to have theirs.
Ethan Hummel
Hello everybody, I am taking a calculus 1 course at my local community college this summer. I was wondering if it is absolutely necessary to read the textbook in math because I see it that the professor teaches the theory and techniques in lecture, and covers the same exact material. Right? What was it like when you went to college? Thank you for any feedback.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you absolutely need to read the textbook.

Likes theBin
Why not read it? There may be more ideas than you think and you may see something that will prompt a question to the prof.

Also some profs, teach one thing in class and then test on stuff from the book + the lecture notes.

jedishrfu said:
Why not read it? There may be more than you think and you may see something that will prompt a question to the prof.

Also some profs, teach one thin in class and then test on stuff from the book + the lecture notes.
It takes a lot of time

Likes theBin
Ethan Hummel said:
It takes a lot of time

says the lazy student.

Likes theBin
Ethan Hummel said:
It takes a lot of time

Yes, studying calculus should take a lot of time.

Likes theBin
jedishrfu said:
says the lazy student.
Yeah not going to lie. I don't find it necessary to waste my time though when the professor would cover it in lecture

micromass said:
Yes, studying calculus should take a lot of time.
I don't get why i would waste my time though when the professor is going to cover the same material in lecture.

Ethan Hummel said:
Yeah not going to lie. I don't find it necessary to waste my time though when the professor would cover it in lecture

1. You won't make it very far in science
2. You won't properly understand calculus
3. It's not a waste of time

But sure, you might pass the course this way.

Likes theBin
micromass said:
1. You won't make it very far in science
2. You won't properly understand calculus
3. It's not a waste of time

But sure, you might pass the course this way.
As long as I pass and get that A

Ethan Hummel said:

Yep sure. If that's your goal, then you don't need to read the textbook at all.

micromass said:
Yep sure. If that's your goal, then you don't need to read the textbook at all.
Is that sarcasm

Ethan Hummel said:

What did you expect us to say? Why did you even bother to ask this knowing what we would say?

I really hope the prof gives you a problem found only in the book and that its one of the tricky ones. Only then will you understand that there's more to getting an A than getting an A. Why not try for a perfect grade of no mistakes now?

Eventually you'll discover that Calculus is child's play compared to the more advanced courses you'll be taking in the future.

jedishrfu said:
What did you expect us to say? Why did you even bother to ask this knowing what we would say?

I really hope the prof gives you a problem found only in the book and that its one of the tricky ones only then will you understand that there's more to getting an A than getting an A.
Well he wouldn't because that's not fair

Likes theBin
Ethan Hummel said:
Is that sarcasm

Not at all. If your only goal is to pass the course, then you don't need to read the textbook at all. No sarcasm.

I just find it incredibly stupid to take a course without trying to properly understand the subject completely.

Likes theBin
Ethan Hummel said:

It is fair.

micromass said:
Not at all. If your only goal is to pass the course, then you don't need to read the textbook at all. No sarcasm.

I just find it incredibly stupid to take a course without trying to properly understand the subject completely.
Well if I get an A doesn't that mean I do understand the material comprehensively?

Ethan Hummel said:
Well if I get an A doesn't that mean I do understand the material comprehensively?

Not at all.

Likes Amrator
Ethan Hummel said:

You have so many misconceptions about college. It might not be fair in high school but in college anything is fair even if he mentions some obscure book that pertains to his or her lecture. I've had profs like these and its darn hard to get even a B in the class.

I think its time to close this thread.

Likes smodak and Amrator

1. Why is reading the textbook important for my studies?

Reading the textbook is important because it provides in-depth information and explanations about the topics covered in the course. It also helps you understand the concepts and theories better, which is crucial for exams and assignments.

2. Can I just rely on lecture notes instead of reading the textbook?

While lecture notes are useful, they often do not cover all the information in the textbook. Additionally, reading the textbook allows you to engage with the material at your own pace and in more detail, which can improve your understanding and retention of the material.

3. How can I make reading the textbook less boring?

One way to make reading the textbook less boring is to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, summarizing key points, and asking questions as you read. You can also try breaking up your reading into smaller chunks and taking breaks in between.

4. I'm struggling to keep up with the assigned readings. What should I do?

If you're struggling to keep up with the assigned readings, try to prioritize the chapters or sections that are most relevant to your current coursework. You can also reach out to your professor or classmates for study groups or assistance with understanding the material.

5. Are there any alternative resources I can use instead of the textbook?

While the textbook is usually the primary resource for a course, there may be alternative resources such as online lectures, videos, or articles that can supplement your learning. However, it's important to check with your professor first to ensure that these resources align with the course material.