Rearranging an expression in sqrt argument

In summary, the conversation is about rearranging an equation involving trigonometric functions and finding the correct form of the equation. The person is having trouble getting from their first line to their third line, but with the help of another person, they are able to understand and solve the problem.
tomwilliam

Homework Statement

Rearranging an equation...can't quite see how it's done.

Homework Equations

[tex]r=\sqrt{2.5^{2}cos^{2}(t/2)+5^{2}sin^{2}(t/2)}[/tex]
[tex]r=2.5\sqrt{cos^{2}(t/2)+4sin^{2}(t/2)}[/tex]
[tex]r=2.5\sqrt{1+3sin^{2}(t/2)}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]cos^{2}(x)+sin^{2}(x)=1[/tex] but that gives me the (wrong) answer
[tex]r=2.5\sqrt{1+24sin^{2}(t/2)}[/tex]

It should be simple, but I'm obviously doing something wrong. Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
tomwilliam said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that [tex]cos^{2}(x)+sin^{2}(x)=1[/tex] but that gives me the (wrong) answer
[tex]r=2.5\sqrt{1+24sin^{2}(t/2)}[/tex]

are you sure that you've substituted correctly
'cause
[tex]cos^2(t/2)+4sin^{2}(t/2)= (1-sin^{2}(t/2))+4sin^2(t/2)=1+3sin^2(t/2)[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks
I'm fine getting from my second line to my third line, following the same logic as you have presented. My problem is how to get from the first line, to the expression with cos squared plus 4 sin squared in the sqrt.

It's ok, I've figured it out now. Thanks for your help

why,
[tex]\sqrt{2.5^2cos^2(t/2)+(2.5)^2.2^2sin^2(t/2)} = 2.5\sqrt{cos^2(t/2)+2^2sin^2(t/2)}[/tex]

Related to Rearranging an expression in sqrt argument

1. How do I rearrange an expression in the square root argument?

Rearranging an expression in the square root argument involves isolating the variable within the square root and moving all other terms to the other side of the equation. This can be done by squaring both sides of the equation.

2. Why is it important to rearrange an expression in the square root argument?

Rearranging an expression in the square root argument can help simplify the equation and make it easier to solve. It can also help reveal patterns and relationships between variables.

3. What are some common techniques for rearranging an expression in the square root argument?

Some common techniques for rearranging an expression in the square root argument include factoring, completing the square, and using the quadratic formula.

4. Are there any rules or limitations when rearranging an expression in the square root argument?

When rearranging an expression in the square root argument, it is important to remember to square both sides of the equation. Additionally, be aware of any restrictions on the variables, such as negative numbers under the square root, which may result in extraneous solutions.

5. Can I rearrange an expression in the square root argument without changing the solution?

Yes, as long as the same mathematical operations are performed on both sides of the equation, the solution will remain the same. However, the rearranged expression may be simpler and easier to solve.