Rearranging Logarithms: Finding the Solution to log Equations

• Thread starter OnlinePhysicsTutor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logarithm
The correct value of x is not quite as large as I first thought. I have corrected my post. The value is still greater than 4.990.In summary, the given equation does not have a nice analytic solution, but it can be approximated numerically. The solution is slightly less than 50 and can be found using methods such as substitution and comparison.
OnlinePhysicsTutor

Homework Statement

2 - log10 3x = log10(x/12)

Homework Equations

logab=b log a
log(a/b)= log a - log b

The Attempt at a Solution

2 + log10 12= log10 x - x log10 3
Start seems simple but cannot see where to go from here, taking exponentials doesn't seem to help. Not sure what the next steps could be.

Physics news on Phys.org
log is base 10 or it is natural log ?

I assume it is meant to be base 10, so I have edited post to include the base.

OnlinePhysicsTutor said:
I assume it is meant to be base 10, so I have edited post to include the base.
After rearranging a bit I can't see how this has a nice solution.

I get ##5^2 *2^4*3 = x3^x##.

Buffu said:
After rearranging a bit I can't see how this has a nice solution.

I get ##5^2 *2^4*3 = x3^x##.
I'm happy with that as well, thanks.

OnlinePhysicsTutor said:

Homework Statement

2 - log10 3x = log10(x/12)

Homework Equations

logab=b log a
log(a/b)= log a - log b

The Attempt at a Solution

2 + log10 12= log10 x - x log10 3
Start seems simple but cannot see where to go from here, taking exponentials doesn't seem to help. Not sure what the next steps could be.
Your equation is equivalent to ##100 = \frac x {12} \cdot 3^x##. Because the variable occurs both as an exponent and as a multiplier, there are not any simple analytic ways to solve this equation. However, you can get good approximations by numeric means, simply by substituting value for x on the right side, and comparing the result with 100 on the left side. Using a spreadsheet I see that there is a solution near x = 50.16. The actual solution is slightly smaller than this.

Edit: As Ray points out, my number here is incorrect. I was using an incorrect formula in my spreadsheet, using log(3^x) instead of 3^x.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
Your equation is equivalent to ##100 = \frac x {12} \cdot 3^x##. Because the variable occurs both as an exponent and as a multiplier, there are not any simple analytic ways to solve this equation. However, you can get good approximations by numeric means, simply by substituting value for x on the right side, and comparing the result with 100 on the left side. Using a spreadsheet I see that there is a solution near x = 50.16. The actual solution is slightly smaller than this.

For If ##f(x) = (x/12) 3^x,## we have##f(50) = (50/3) e^{50} \doteq 0.299 \times 10^{25}##, so the solution of ##f(x) = 100## must certainly be quite a bit less than 50. Maple gets ##x \doteq 4.990.##

Ray Vickson said:
For If ##f(x) = (x/12) 3^x,## we have##f(50) = (50/3) e^{50} \doteq 0.299 \times 10^{25}##, so the solution of ##f(x) = 100## must certainly be quite a bit less than 50. Maple gets ##x \doteq 4.990.##
what is ##\doteq## ?

Buffu said:
what is ##\doteq## ?
##\doteq## means "approximately equal to", sometimes also written as ##\approx##. I avoid using "=" in such cases just so the reader will understand that the answer is not exactly 4.990. For example, a better approximation is obtained by using 60 digits of precision, giving
##x \doteq 4.99043541467729841484302401855197675632523233638262678465047## Even that is not exact.

Likes Jamison Lahman and SammyS
As a additional exercise, Can we prove that there is no nice real solution for equation, Also can we know the nature of the solution ?

Ray Vickson said:
You are correct. Somehow I mistakenly had log(3^x) in my spreadsheet formula, not log(3^x) as it should have been.

What is logarithm rearrangement?

Logarithm rearrangement is a mathematical process used to simplify logarithmic expressions by rearranging them into a different form. This can make the expression easier to solve or evaluate.

Why is logarithm rearrangement useful?

Logarithm rearrangement can be useful in solving equations involving logarithms, simplifying complicated expressions, and finding the inverse of exponential functions.

What are the rules for rearranging logarithms?

The basic rule for rearranging logarithms is that if the logarithm is being added or subtracted, the exponent can be moved to the front of the expression. If the logarithm is being multiplied or divided, the exponent can be moved to the front and multiplied or divided by the coefficient.

How do I know when to use logarithm rearrangement?

Logarithm rearrangement is commonly used when solving equations involving logarithms, but it can also be used in simplifying expressions or finding the inverse of exponential functions. It is important to identify when logarithm rearrangement can be helpful in a given problem.

Are there any limitations to logarithm rearrangement?

While logarithm rearrangement can be a useful tool in simplifying expressions, it is important to note that it may not always be possible to rearrange logarithms. In some cases, the expression may not have a simpler form or may not be able to be rearranged at all.