Reason for Optical Isomerism (at electron level)

Which explains that the rotation of the plane of polarized light is due to the interaction between the electric field of the polarized light and the electric dipole moment of the molecule. This interaction causes a difference in the propagation speed of the two circularly polarized components of the light, resulting in the rotation of the plane of polarization.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I have been studying Optical Isomerism recently, and I have got one question, answer to which was not in the books that I have.

I have understood what the phenomenon is, and that, how one can determine whether the plane of polarised light is rotated, and how to tell from the structure whether the molecule will rotate the plane of polarised light or not.

However why does the phenomenon occur? If I go to the atomic level or the quantum mechanical level, it is surely a result of interaction of the polarised light with the electrons in the atomic orbitals and the molecular orbitals. Can anyone explain how this interaction occurs? That is, how is the plane of polarised light bent by the electron - photon interaction (if any)?

Chemistry news on Phys.org

1. What is optical isomerism?

Optical isomerism is a type of stereoisomerism where two molecules have the same chemical formula and bonding pattern, but differ in their spatial arrangement. This results in the molecules being non-superimposable mirror images of each other, known as enantiomers.

2. What causes optical isomerism?

Optical isomerism is caused by the presence of a chiral center in a molecule. A chiral center is an atom bonded to four different groups, resulting in two different arrangements of those groups. This creates two different spatial arrangements of the molecule, leading to the formation of enantiomers.

3. How is optical isomerism detected at the electron level?

Optical isomerism can be detected at the electron level through the use of polarized light. Enantiomers rotate polarized light in opposite directions due to their different spatial arrangements. This is known as optical activity and can be measured using a polarimeter.

4. What is the significance of optical isomerism in chemistry?

Optical isomerism is significant in chemistry because it can affect the physical and chemical properties of a molecule. Enantiomers have different interactions with other molecules and can exhibit different biological activities. This makes them important in fields such as drug development and flavor chemistry.

5. Can optical isomerism be observed in all molecules?

No, not all molecules exhibit optical isomerism. Molecules must have a chiral center in order to have enantiomers. If a molecule lacks a chiral center, it will be achiral and not exhibit optical isomerism.