Recipe for cooking tumble mustard

• Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cooking
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to find a recipe for cooking the edible weed sisymbrium altissimum (tumble mustard, london rocket) instead of eating it raw due to concerns about potential contaminants. The speaker also mentions a similar experience with Rucola and the difficulty in finding a cooked recipe for it. The potential risks of consuming the weed, such as heavy metals and parasitic organisms, are also mentioned, with cooking being a safer option to kill any parasites. However, it is advised to avoid consuming the weed altogether if there are pets frequenting the yard.
Stephen Tashi
Science Advisor
I'd like to find a recipe for cooking the edible weed sisymbrium altissimum (tumble mustard, london rocket).
There are plenty of recipes online for eating it raw, but I'd feel safer trying it cooked since the harvest will be from my urban lawn.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think "Wash it!" (heavy metals) is the key here, not "Cook it!".

I've had a similar problem with Rucola these days. It was simply too much for me to eat the 5th portion of salad, so I was searching for a recipe to use it cooked somehow. Well, I couldn't find one. All warm versions included it as a cold add-on rather than a part of the meal. I was hoping to eat it like spinach, but no chance - you cannot get it soft.

If there are dogs or cats frequenting your yard, find something else to eat. Aside from urban aerosols there can be several different parasitic organisms - spores, eggs, etc., in pet feces. Washing well will not necessarily remove every type of parasite. Some parasites can enter through the skin, i.e., hands during washing. Cooking will kill the parasites. Avoiding them in the first place is the best choice.

Likes berkeman

1. What ingredients do I need to make a recipe for cooking tumble mustard?

To make a recipe for cooking tumble mustard, you will need the following ingredients:

• 1 cup of chopped tumble mustard leaves
  • 1 tablespoon of olive oil
  • 1 clove of minced garlic
  • 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

2. How do I prepare tumble mustard for cooking?

To prepare tumble mustard for cooking, start by washing the leaves thoroughly and removing any tough stems. Then, chop the leaves into bite-sized pieces.

3. Can I substitute tumble mustard with another type of mustard?

Yes, you can substitute tumble mustard with any other type of mustard, such as Dijon or yellow mustard. However, the flavor and texture may be slightly different.

4. What dishes can I use tumble mustard in?

Tumble mustard can be used in a variety of dishes, including salads, stir-fries, soups, and pasta dishes. It can also be added as a topping to sandwiches or used as a garnish for meat dishes.

5. How do I store leftover tumble mustard?

Leftover tumble mustard can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for longer storage. Before using frozen tumble mustard, make sure to thaw it completely and squeeze out any excess moisture.